1752748 Members
4814 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

After applying HPSUM, the NSI proxy service driver service failed to start

larndt
Occasional Contributor

After applying HPSUM, the NSI proxy service driver service failed to start

I downloaded HP_Service_Pack_for_Proliant_2014.02.0-0_761723-001_spp_2014.02.0-SPP2014020.2014_0128.5.iso.  The first server on which I applied it is a Proliant DL360 G5 running Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1.  After a reboot, I noticed that all network connections were missing.  That turns out to be because the Network Connections service hadn't started.  It depends on the Network Store Interface Service service, which hadn't started.  It depends on the NSI proxy service driver which failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."  C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys appear to be intact.  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this any further.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
JeffSt

Re: After applying HPSUM, the NSI proxy service driver service failed to start

I have experienced the same exact problem only on a DL380G7.  Were you able to find a fix for this yet?  I'm dead in the water right now.

bronman
Occasional Visitor

Nothing that I tried works.  I'm doing in-place upgrade of Win2008 R2 SP1. Hopefully this will fix it.

larndt
Occasional Contributor

My fix was to restore from backup.  I first tried manually modifying the registry to restore the missing value, but that part of the registry is writeable only by SYSTEM.  I then learned that a scheduled task runs as SYSTEM, and so I scheduled a registry import of the missing value with the AT command.  The import succeeded, and the value was restored, but it was gone again after a reboot.  At that point, all I could think of was a restore of the system.

larndt
Occasional Contributor

Oh, I just realized I didn't put the cause in my original posting.  Ordinarily, the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NSIPROXY\0000\Control has the value ActiveService, which is a REG_SZ, and is set to "nsiproxy".  The ActiveService value was completely missing after my post-HPSUM reboot.

Angus Tong1
Occasional Visitor

Had the same problem and symptoms after installing the following drivers on a Windows 2008R2 box:

HP Broadcom 1Gb Multifunction Drivers for Windows Server x64 Editions (American, International)

• 7.8.50.0 (B)

HP NC-Series Intel E1E Driver for Windows Server 2008 R2 (American, International)

• 9.15.17.0 (B)
  • 26 Oct 2012

(Guessing it's caused by the first driver, HP Broadcom since that is listed as 18th Feb 2014)

Noticed the missing ActiveService registry key too. Afters eeing your post I figured I might as well cut my losses and restore the server. NSIProxy in the Event Logs showed that it failed to start because the service was disabled or there were no associated devices. Made me wonder whether installing one of these drivers changed the start up preferences and maybe NSIproxy starts before the NIC drivers are initialized thus having no NICS available when NSIProxy starts.

I also tried sc start nsiproxy to no avail after the boot up.

Hoping someone from HP reads this to prevent further issues to others who might update!

vks1983

in my case helped replacement file nsiproxy.sys that is located here c:\windows\system32\drivers. File taken from a working system with a version of windows. After reboot, the system work fine.

doswald
Regular Visitor

FYI I called into HP on this issue, and they did not seem to have any idea.  Their suggestion was to use the system maintenance dip switch #6 to clear NVRAM (power off server, flip the switch, power on server - at prompt power back down and flip switch back).  I just tried this (even though it doesn't logically make sense) and it did not change anything  I also tried replacing nsiproxy.sys, but that did not fix the issue.

doswald
Regular Visitor

FYI - I called back to HP and got a different tech, who sent me an email with instructions.  Ultimately what fixed the issue for me is manually uninstalling the HP Network Configuration utility by running HPNCUUninstall from C:\Program Files\HP\NCU

If you want, here are the full instructions - removing NCU fixed it for me:

-          Open Device manager, Enable “Show hidden devices” under “View” and expand the “Non Plug and Play” section.

-          Locate all drivers that are marked with a black arrow pointing downwards and verify that the code 22 is displayed under properties of the respective drivers

-          When trying to start these drivers you will get an error 

-          If teaming is / was configured prior to  the update, please dissolve team(s) and uninstall NCU via the HPNCUuninstall utility in C:/Program Files/HP/NCU. Do not reboot.

-          Now uninstall all the driver instances that are similarly listed in the Device Manager with a down arrow. Do not reboot in-between. Once finished uninstalling all the affected drivers, reboot the server

-          Once the server boots into the OS, open an elevated command prompt and execute the following three commands –

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

netsh int tcp reset

-          Reboot

-          Verify network connectivity and all drivers up and running in device manager non-Plug and Play devices

Dirk Frey
Advisor

Same problen on DL380 G7.

In my case the issue was caused by version 7.8.50.0 (B) of HP Broadcom 1Gb Multifunction Drivers for Windows Server x64 Editions (American, International).

The prior version 7.8.6.0 (10 Sep 2013) works fine.