1752614 Members
4661 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP teaming on Windows Server 2012

Weiner

HP teaming on Windows Server 2012

Hi,

is it possible do a HP NIC teaming on Windows Server 2012? Is it supported? Where can I find this software?

Thank you.

P.S. this thread has been moved from Microsoft > Networking to Windows 2012 - HP Forums moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Someone might have responded to this if you had identified either your server model or your NIC hardware. Just sayin'.

Make a great day!

Roger
Chicago
Occasional Collector

Found this:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5177949&spf_p.tpst=psiContentDisplay&spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Dmmr_kc-0101637-10%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

HP ProLiant G6/G7/Gen8 Servers - Network Configuration Utility is No Longer
Available Within Microsoft Server 2012 Operating System

Use the Windows Server 2012 Teaming functionality to accomplish NIC Teaming.

Hope this helps,

~Chicago

KarlB
Occasional Visitor

@Weiner wrote:

Hi,

is it possible do a HP NIC teaming on Windows Server 2012? Is it supported? Where can I find this software? 

The quick answer is no.  It is not possible to do *HP* NIC teaming in 2012 because it is not supported.  However, it is also not necessary because NIC teaming is now built into server 2012.    I do it all the time.   

To enable it: (DO NOT DO THIS REMOTELY!!!)

1. bring up the server manager

2. Click on Local server on the left side

3. On the right side of the screen is a bunch of info about your server laid out in two columns.   On the left column, the 6th item down should be NIC Teaming.   Click where it says Disabled.

4.  A new window will open that is divided into three panes.  In the bottom right pane, it will list your NICs.  Using the cTRL + Mouse, highlight more than one NIC that you want to team. 

5. In the top right corner of that pane, there is a TASKS drop down box.  Click it.

6. Choose add to new team.

7.  A new window opens.  It will then ask for a name for the team.   Give it a name.  Don't hit OK yet.

8.  At the bottom of that window is a thin drop down arrow and the words additional properties.  CLick it.

9.  Choose the Teaming Mode and Load Balancing Mode.   These settings are up to you.  I usually use LACP (802.3ad) and Address hash.   However, you switch has to support LACP and be configured for it...

10.  Hit OK.   Then give it a few seconds to come up and work.  When using LACP, it usually will say there is a fault at first.. and then slowly after 30 seconds or so it will change to OK.  

11.  Go back to the network adapter settings and you will see you now have a new teamed adapter.  Assign your IP to it and you are all set!

Enjoy!

KarlB

493msww
Collector

I wish this answer would come up more readily when searching for this capability on servers for those so used to broadcom and hp management programs. 

Worked perfectly. Thank you.