5835 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iCAP - Do I need workload manager?

A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

iCAP - Do I need workload manager?

Hi,

I am considering deploying some iCAP cells and processors into a single partition HP-UX Integrity Superdome. Do I need HP-UX workload manager to manage the iCAP components?

Thanks
Andrew

P.S.This thread has been moved from HP-UX>General>to HP-UX > Workload/Resource Management- HP Forums Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
no you don't need it, workload manager is a possibilty to enable/disable resources dynamically.

If you don't need that you can do it manually using:
- icod_modify
- icod_stat
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrew,

No you don't have to use WLM to take advantage of iCAP. With a single nPar your scope is limited as to how you can leverage iCAP (within a single complex - there is something called GiCAP allowing you to share usage rights between multiple systems).

i.e.
- You could deactivate cores if you so desired.
- You could purchase iCAP RTU and activate additional cores.
- You could buy TiCAP LTU so that you could temporarily activate cores during high workloads. (You will receive some TiCAP LTU in the form of instant access capacity, which is 5 days x # of iCAP cores - the idea behind this is that it allows you to activate cores immediately whilst the sales process is being completed to obtain a permanent RTU license).

Without WLM the onus of managing your active cores across workloads is on you.

What options (how does it fit in future plans) are you looking for the iCAP components in this system to provide?

Hope this helps,

Paul
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

I realised this sentence makes no sense - after I'd pressed submit!:

"With a single nPar your scope is limited as to how you can leverage iCAP (within a single complex - there is something called GiCAP allowing you to share usage rights between multiple systems)."

The point I was trying to make is that you are limited as to the benefits you can get from iCAP in a single nPar in a single complex. However, there is a product called GiCAP that allows you to share usage rights between different systems. So you can deactivate cores on one system, which gives you spare usage rights, that you can now activate on another system. This can help to reduce solution costs as you only need to fully license the cores you have active across all the members of your GiCAP group.