Operating System - HP-UX
1753946 Members
7869 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

more Physical I/Os than Logical I/Os

more Physical I/Os than Logical I/Os

Hi,
I notice on my systems I have more physical I/Os than logical I/Os and the system is running slow.

V2250, 16 GB ram and vxfs filesystems with ORacle database.

Any thoughts Why???
Strive for perfection
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: more Physical I/Os than Logical I/Os

Sure, I suspect your ORACLE is doing raw I/O
and thus logical i/o's can be less than physical i/o's.

I suspect that you also need to reduce max_dbc_pct as well or set bufpages to about 300-400 MB and thus override dynamic buffer cache. You could then probably increase your ORACLE buffers.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Kandaswamy

Oracle needs to be tuned , to reduce the physical reads and ther should be more logical reads.

1.dbc_max to dbc_min difference should be arounf 800mb to 1 gb.
2.Do a sarcheck , go to www.sarcheck.com and downlaod ttheir utility , it take 5 mts to set it up and it give really wonderful results
3. Also I think your real problem is the differnce between what block size oracle is set to and what size your filesystem is set to , incase it is like 16K for oracle and 4 K for Unix then ofcourse you have a problem because for the maintenace oracle works on the block level .

Manoj Srivastava

I have 8 Kb block size set at the filesystem level and 16KB as Oracle db Block size , now do I need to change this values???

Kanda
Strive for perfection
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Kanda

Yes Sir , it would involve to recreate the filesystems which is a big pain , unless you are not into production.

Manoj Srivastava

One more concern, I have my Logical volumes stripeed with 64KB stripe size , Will changing these to match with DB block size and filesystem block size help improve the peroformance
Strive for perfection
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Kanda

No the 64KB stripe for your logical volumes will not effect the physical read to logical read ration since that goes across a bigger picture , physical disks , contorllers etc .

Manoj Srivastava