4655 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Business copy

Sudhir_8
Contributor

Business copy

Hi,
I have created business copy on XP1024 SAN storage. My doubt is, If I delete some data from primary copy and then resync the BC will it delete the data from Bsiness copy also?
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Re: Business copy

First of all must must understand how BC on XP works.
If BC is established there is a fixed relation between a source and 1 to 9 target LUN(s), thus all updates to the source are immediately replicated to the target(s).
If you want to get a point in time copy you suspend BC for target(s). This will leave a full copy of a LUN at the point you suspended it. If you now change data on the source the target will not be updated.

Subsequently you can resynch source and target and you can decide in which direction you want to synchronize!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Marek Smejkal
Frequent Advisor

Sudhir,

BC is XP internal mirroring. If you delete file/s on your P-Vol it is also deleted on your S-Vol. If you split BC, delete files on your P-Vol your files are still on your S-Vol and you can resynchronize it back.

Marek
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Are you doing SnapShots or SnapClones? If SnapShot - then yes, deletion of the primary will render the snapshots (targets) unusable. If you're doing Snapclones - then it depends. Why? Well SnapClones - even if they're "instant" (usable immediately) does not mean they're fully independent yet. Someone correct me but SnapClones start off basically the same as snapshots - which after some time become fully independent sets. So if you blow away your source LUNs whilst the Snapclones are bot fully allocated yet then you loose your data -- but I think the system will have TONS of warnings or possibly will not allow you to do it in the first place.
Hakuna Matata.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Nelson,
what you are describing is EVA not XP.
Currently there is no snapshot available on the XP.
BC on the XP always makes clones. But other than on the EVA you can resynchronize - split - resynchronize clones any time and as often as you like!

Usually you first take an inital clone which keeps synchronizing until you split!
Then you split when you need the clone for testing, backup etc.
At any time you resynchronize and next time you need the clone you split again!

For more info see:http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00098533/c00098533.pdf

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Oh that's right Peter. BusinessCopy/XP is actually Hitachi's Hi-Copy product - right?
Hakuna Matata.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Yes you are right!
The XPs are based on the Hitachi RAIDxxx arrays (XP1024 = RAID450). While the array HW and internal software is identical to the HDS 9980V HP is offering a much broader solution portfolio like MetroCluster (HP-UX), Cluster Extension (Windows, AIX, Solaris, Linux) etc.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage