Your questions about the HPE Support Center website
1745833 Members
4188 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it me or is HP support really bad now?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

I thought it was just me as far as terms of poor customer service, i've been at some client sites and it takes almost an act Congress to get the right help on the phone or you have some level 1 trying to help out a level 2/3 systems administrator who already knows more about the problem then the person who answered the phone. I understand they have to do some basic troubleshooting but the business pay for critical support and one shouldn't have to suffer through level 1 support to help diagnose a hardware problem or if you have to leave a message and they have to call you back... Customer support at its best i guess...
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Seems that most Hardware and Software producers have contracted myriad of underpaid workers around the world and the result is absolutely desastrous for custommers. HP is alas one of them.

There is much more science in this free-cost forum that you'll ever find in the hotline services they pay.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

My biggest issue is with the off-shoring of the various call centers, in particular the "new installation" call center. I used to spend about 3 minutes to log a call to have a new server installed, and now it takes about 10-15 minutes.

The staff does NOT seem to know the product line, or how to properly log the installation calls. It's about a 50-50 chance that I'll actually get a follow-up call from the field to install my server.

I have to continually follow up; it's a huge waste of my time.

Thanks for listening. :)

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
James M. Dunn
Frequent Advisor

Perignon,

I agree with you on the Forum idea, but I am mostly aggravated at the lack of available parts and terrible customer service.

Once long ago in a far far planet, most parts used to be stored in Tampa or Sarasota and our CE's used to be able to pick up a part and have it installed in no time, heck even if it was in Atlanta it could still be here in 24 hours, the last run in I had with a part replacement to 2 to 3 hours total on the phone and then the part had to travel around our fair marble for 41 hours and get this it was only a hot swap hard drive for a RP7420.

So I was looking for an HP URL like a (cutomer response URL)where I can voice my frustrations.

It soulds to me that most folks are P*ssed off too.

JD
John M.
Advisor

IMHO, I don't think its isolated to HP or even IT industry. It seems to be a business trend everywhere to improve bottom line by driving down labor costs. Cutting support and reducing expenses where ever it is tolerated in the short term.
Also agree with comments about "IT as Commidty"
"Things fall apart, it's scientific" David Byrne
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

For me, HP was always the best of three worlds (HP, Sun, IBM), when it came to phone/hardware support. It's becoming a dog.

Most parts are in another country from what I've heard. What's with that?

The 800-633-3600 number is being shuffled off to another country. Not a bad thing unless; a)you can't be understood, b)you can't understand them, or c) they can't help you at all in anyway and have to forward it off to yet another person who may not be able to help. And yes, A, B and C happens to me ALL the time now.

Sigh!
Paul Jerrom
Valued Contributor

Hi Jim,
It's not you!! It took me 45 minutes last week just to LOG a call - I kept getting my Alpha/VMS call routed through the laptop division in India for some reason. I'm glad it wasn't a DR notification I was making. I've raised it with people locally and in Nashua since, but noone seems to care any more.
Let's face it,the only reason ITRC is here is so HP can cut down on their own support numbers!
But I guess even VMS-land is going to the dogs. I had a VMS Ambassador recently suggest I use Google and/or some freeware rather than seeking HP assistance for the product I pay support dollars for. Go figure. Local sales don't care unless you are nearing a hardware refresh.
I wonder how long this thread will remain here...
Keep fighting the good fight!
PJ
Have fun,

Peejay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it can't be done with a VT220, who needs it?
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

James -
We are just a six year shop using HP support for our HP products. Our experience with calling support have been quite adequate. I will not disagree that at time escalation needs to be requested, but we have been accomodated in a timely manner. Someone mentioned requesting assistance, on support issues, from your ASE. Today I believe they are referred to as ASC (Account Support Consultant), at least in California. We happen to have a top of the line ASC who has managed to bring in the best from HP, on any real serious issue, to handle our issue. Therefor, I too, would recommend getting your ASC or ASE involved.
Not also that there is online support case logging for both hardware and software. This is referred to as Support Call Manager and allows you to log your call, request a return phone call or email and see action on the issue as HP updates the call. Not sure if this is part of the service contract or free with the service contract, but it is extremely useful.
Note also that we are also a Big Blue shop and the support comparison of IBM to HP, for us, has been equally good.
Best of luck.

Regards,
-dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
Brad Marks
Super Advisor

James, Thanks for bringing this up -- it's been pretty enlightening.
My H/P VAR is no longer selling H/P products due mostly to the support quality downturn. He suggested that, instead of spending big wads of green stuff anually, to purchase support 'by the incident' with a credit card.
Do you or anyone else out there have an opinion re. this? Can I buy a "24x7 4hr." incident? Upside? Downside?
Cheers!
Brad
It's not impossible -- it'll just cost more...
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Good point Dave brought up, as members of ITRC we all have access to the online Support Case Manager tool, it doesn't address the major issues all brought up here but at least you don't have to call an offshore call center to get a case number logged!

For me in Australia, I find once you get the case number logged you get easier access to the local resources - it doesn't bypass Level 1 completely but it is a big help plus you can see (some) updates so you're not completely in the dark...

Big Blue have a locally based call centre, but I use their online call logging tool as well because I hate being on hold. That and being able to type in a serial number rather than tell someone over the phone is something I like, even though I've gotten used to sounding like a soldier when talking about the alphabet. :)