Your questions about the HPE Support Center website
1745866 Members
4330 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it me or is HP support really bad now?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

James,

It does appear that your observation is true. And I think I saw the degradation started around last year...

Lately, we have had 3 to 4 critical issues that we actually ended up solving ourselves.

And mind you, this is not just happening I think with HP support - we also are seeing this with the other vendors.

If youhave an ASE or an account manager or rep, I'd escalate immediately to them.

Hakuna Matata.
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

hi!

I hope your issues are sorted out by now!!

Any way, I would like to put my experience with HP support.
01. Most of them are nice, but i have come across with people with bad manners and short tempered!!!! They don't want to listen to your issue, and try baby sitting!!!

02. Few times, the solution which HP's support people gave was a blunder, and it would have stopped the whole of our operations. When they gave the solution, i told them it is not going to work for us and it will impact the business. But, HP person was so sure, and he was forcing me to implement the change what he told. Then, i asked him to verify what he says with another HP person or with his manager and get back to me. What i received after 2 days was a single line apology mail!!

03. They take long...long ...hrs to solve the issue. They will ask for some log, you sent them and wait for 1 or more days. No effect you keep telling that the issue is serious, we need a solution or workaround.

04. Few times, when we had serious issue, we asked for a call back and till today no one called us!!!!

Anyway, as a result, we built up our knowledge and shared it with in the organization. Now we terminated HP support for some of the products(the list includes one of the most critical application we use). We save money, and most important point is, the issues are resolved with in a limited period.

Thanks and Regards,
-Ashly

http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

I had to laugh the other day when I called in a problem. I told the HP rep my issue and had to quote the error to them.

Me: "The error message is quote (whatever the error message was) end quote"
Them: "Could you spell quote for me?"
Me: "err... the key just to the left of the Enter key is the quote key. You can use that instead."
Them: "Oh.... thank you."

They were nice but shouldn't a tech company helpdesk type person at least know the keyboard to some degree?
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

Very funny!! Looks like people are too "teche", the understand only the Assemble language !!!
I would rate the HP's performance as 5 (in a scale of 1 to 10, where 10=Very Good and 1=Very Bad)

I hope HP will take these inputs and better their services, which is beneficial to HP as well as to its customers.

Keeping the finger crossed
-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Hello James!

Here in Italy, i call sometimes for HP Superdome and HP Openview assistance.
We have a contract and all goin'on good.
The technichains are very prepared and they came here very fast.

Only a bad thing is the call center.

Regards!
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

Hello Jim,

Outsourcing, Outsourcing!!! Old HP response center is assuaged, so does the style of the support. Get the ticket number, demand speak to on-duty manager. talk to your HP sale rep.
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

After having been "out" of the HPUX world for about a year, this thread really scared me when I re-entered ;-)

I see your points, though.. the relocation of support (and often also operations) to cheap(er) places often has dramatic consequences.

I was out of the HPUX world for a while because of just that: our datacenter was migrated to a place where people get paid not even half of our wages. Checking in with my ex-end-users now, getting things done in IT seems to have become hellish.

My humble opinion: Ever since the 'financial geniuses' have taken the chairs of the 'all-round geniuses' at the top of organizations, quality is being sacrificed for the benefit of 'the stockholders', people whom no amount of money will ever be good enough for.

Luckily I landed into a good situation now. The key thing seems to be having a single point of contact for escalations (account support manager, usually), and a fixed team of support people. From now on, I would always try to negotiate such a situation.

The call centers are not too fun to go through indeed, but I've always made these calls as brief as possible. As soon as 'my' engineer calls be back, we're rolling.

Cheers
an engineer's aim in a discussion is not to persuade, but to clarify.
James M. Dunn
Frequent Advisor

Wouter Jagers Great post, perfect!

JD
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Of late, I've been observing it's now purely LUCK if you get a first or second level that's truly up for the task at hand. If you've support contracts - I urge you to use the ITRC to place your support issues so you do not waste time explaining the situation. Then follow up over the phone.

One thing that relaly gets my blood boiling are the following:

1.) When you call, despite punching in your case number or SAID number, a rep would still ask you the info! It's as if their back end system simply ignores what you punch in on the phone!

2.) Despite having emailed, or posted details of the case - a rep would often appear to not know about the case and would again ask for a litany of what the issue is! (Often, I would just tell the rep.. PLEASE can you just read through what's the case details on that nice LCD screen in front of you!!!)

3.) Level 1 or 2 support would still insist on fixing the problem themselves EVEN if it is evident they need a 3rd level or backline or WTEC person!

Overall though -- compared to the "others".. HP Support IMHO is still tops!
Hakuna Matata.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

To add another thing to Nelson's blood boiling list...:

When you log a call electronically via ITRC, there is an option at the bottom of the page which asks whether you want to be contacted electronically or by phone...

Now maybe I'm being a bit picky, but if I select that I want to be contacted by email, then that means I want to be contacted by email !!

The number of times I've put the phone down to Bangalore (or wherever) to simply confirm my address details, which I've just typed into the web form is unbelievable. What makes it worse is that what should be a 20 second conversation, ends up being a 2 minute conversation because I can't understand the accent of the person on the phone - hence why I said use email in the first place !!

That said, the actual quality of support here in the UK at least, does seem to be getting better. A year ago, part only calls, were hit and miss as parts would be coming from all over the country, rather than our local stores. I placed a call yesterday for a failed disk, and the replacement was with me less than 2 hours later... much better.

Cheers,

Rob