Again: Notifications suffering

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Again: Notifications suffering

Dear moderator,
it seems that a really nasty problem has come back:
Notifications do not work as they should.

a) I did not receive any notifications on new threads since Thursady.

b) I recieve only a part of the notifications due for marked threads.

I had seriously suffered from this for a long time (and posted in several therads which all have been deleted).

The problem seemed to be solved by the forum overhauling two weeks ago.
Notifications worked fine for a week.

But since last Friday both the problems are back.

It is very time taking on the one side.
OTH this means that quite some people might be waiting for a reply of mine which does not because I do not know that theer is a new psoting in a thread.

Could you pleeeease help to get this fixed?
And pls don't leeve me in the dark again.

Rainald

100 REPLIES
CA484956
Valued Contributor

Re: Again: Notifications suffering

I'll report this to the lab.

BTW, you're signed up to be notified for thousands of messages. You might want to clean up your profile.
"Downtime is a Crime."
CA484956
Valued Contributor

Maintenace was performed on July 22nd. Notifications are turned on and off as necessary during maintenance. We found no problems with notifications, other than it had been temporarily disabled.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Laura
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

I've noticed this too - do you think Cheryl, that we just have too many notififactions ??? I shall clean mine up as you suggest - Thanks !
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Cheryl.

Does the system get confused if there are too many therads marked for notification.

For sure a lot of marked therads is really old. But it still happens that ooooold threads come up with a new posting ...

Rainald
P.S. I was not notified on your reply in this thread. Just saw that there was a reply when coming here because of a notication in another thread.
CA484956
Valued Contributor

Still double checking on the status of the notifications. I have not heard back from the lab yet. Given that there was maintenance on Friday and there is still some behind the scenes efforts, I am sure that notifications were disabled.
"Downtime is a Crime."
N/A

In fact,now that u all mention that,i also stopped receiving the notification since the last maintenance.I do remember the last time u posted about that,Rainald.I didnt use the notifications until then,so i decided to give it a try.After the maintenance from the 9th of July,i was always notified.Since the last maintenance,i didnt get any notifications.Weird.
(I dont really use it so i could live without it...but for all others out there).

Ill try to disable all notification and
reassign them.Maybe it will help.

TIA,
Nir.
CA649974
Valued Contributor

All,

The daily notification email was disabled during the maintenance and upgrade that was happening last Friday. The daily email notification was turned back on and has been delivering fine. Please let us know if you are not receiving it -- if not, it could also be that your email server is blocking the package (thinking it is spam). If you are not receiving notifications of replies to threads you are subscribed to, please let us know that as well. This feature appears to be functioning properly.

Thanks!
Dan
Because life is not a spectator sport!
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Well, there certainly seem to be gremlins about. I still have missing notifications as of today. Also my points will change from one moment to next. At one point they show 24216. I go back in again and they show 24206. If I refresh the screen a few times , then they change back to 24216.

Anyone else see this ?
Laura Rooke
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

and you can see it this way.....

if you go to the handheld forum it shows 24206 points against my name. If I click on my name , it shows me as having 24216 points in that forum.

Try it on your own name if you are reading this - if you want :-)
Laura Rooke
N/A

Tried removing all the checked notifications,submitted,re-added the nitification,submitted again,,,Its the same.Im still not getting any notifications.Again,as i said,its not such a big deal for me,but i can see that it is very important to a big part of the members.

BTW-As Laura mentioned,the points will change when moving pages or when the page has been updated after submitting an answer,when no one have assigned any extra points (and surely didnt "take" any back) to ur answers.weird.
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Cheryl and Dan,
thanks for your concern.

1.) As you might remember, I had this problem for quite some weeks.
After the maintenance of July 8th, evrything was fine again.
The problem came in the same way after the maintenance of Jul 22nd.

2.) I did not receive any daily notification since then.

Notifications on replies in marked threads drop in occasionally. I'm unable to count it, I estimate the rate being around 50%.

There's thread where 1 out 5 postings were announced.

3.) I can absolutely exclude the influence of SPAM filtering.

Thanks for taking care

Rainald
CA649974
Valued Contributor

Rainald, Laura and Nir,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in direct contact with the lab and will have these investigated. Sorry about any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Dan
Because life is not a spectator sport!
John Y
Honored Contributor

I saw the points thing to, wierd ??
John Y
Honored Contributor

Dan G.-- I forgot to mention, that past members Francis N. and Doctor Beg's names have been changed to BFA4 & BFA5. Just so you know.
CA484956
Valued Contributor

John,
We changed the forum names. Some of the user names were spoofed, etc. The accounts are no longer active.
Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
John Y
Honored Contributor

Thanks Cheryl, but why not keep them removed, as before ?
CA484956
Valued Contributor

John,
The intent was to keep them removed. This was an inadvertent side-affect. We're tracking down the change that displayed them and are working to making them disappear again.

"Downtime is a Crime."
John Y
Honored Contributor

Thanks again Cheryl. It's hard seeing whats left of Francis's name, and knowing he wont/can't come back. What a loss, for all !
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Dan,
as a follow-up:
The situation is unchaged.

a) No daily notifications at all.

b) Notifications on new postings in marked threads dropping in at random, only the minor part arriving.

A fine example may be *this* thread.
There's a total of 18 replies.
Deducting the 2 postings of mine leaves 16.
I got *2* notifications.
This leaves 14 missing.

Or the other way around:
It was succesful with 1 out 7.

Thanks again for your concern
Rainald

Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, I am still not getting most of my notifications.

What worries me is that the person who is asking the question is not being notified of any answers.
Laura Rooke
N/A

Well,if already talking about modifications to the forum,,,,
How about adding BIG RED instructions on how to assign points and closing the thread,apearing everytime a Question Author replies on his own question?It pops-up when opening the thraed,but not when u reply in ur own thread.Maybe this could encourage the questions authors to assign points and closing their threads.
N/A

BTW- i didnt get even one notification,not on replies and not on new threads posted in the forum section that i chose to get notifications from.Again-everything was fine after the maintenance of July 8th.The problem is only since the last maintenance.
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Laura,
|| What worries me is that the person who is asking the question is not
|| being notified of any answers.

Yes. It can be a really bad situation for those urgently waiting for a reply.

Egocentric as I am, so far I mainly thought that things would be OK with others and that this might only be a problem happening to Me. And in so far it has been my concern that someone might be urgently calling for a reply and I'm just unable to get to know of that.

And what really worries me that this is not the *first*time* this happens.
I had been complaining about the the same situation for weeks and nothing happened. Not trace of that left behind because of censors' activities ....

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Nir,
thanks for confirming that I am not alone!

Rainald
P.S. As there has been some therad drift already, pls be so kind as to post your wish concerning assigning points in a new thread. The user interface really is not too intuitive in so far and there's tons of therads where the users obviously are not gettings things right on this.