Did you mean: 

BROWSE panel blank rather than showing categories

Chris H
Honored Contributor

BROWSE panel blank rather than showing categories

When I view the Business Support Forums front page: 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support

the BROWSE panel is blank!

It should show the available categories - and I think It did the first time I used the new forums a few days ago - but no longer!

If I use the mouse to select the contents of the panel, copy this and paste it into Notepad, this shows that the following text IS there:

Browse..Business Support Forums Printing and Digital Imaging (10 Items)
Desktops and Workstations (9 Items)
Storage (7 Items)
Mobile Products (6 Items)
Servers (4 Items)
Feedback and Forums Usage Questions (2 Items)
Interactive Solutions (2 Items)
Collaboration Software (1 Item)
Management software and system tools (1 Item)
Microsoft (1 Item)

But for some unknown reason (colour=white?) it does not display on my screen.

(Using Win 7 Pro 64-bit, with IE8).

3 REPLIES
Chris H
Honored Contributor

Re: BROWSE panel blank rather than showing categories

... if, within the browser (IE8) I change the "Page | Style" option from "Default Style" to "No Style", the missing text becomes visible (but the page format is lost, so it's almost unusable).

Chris H
Honored Contributor

If it's any help, comparing the source of the "Community Home" page (which DOES show the contents of its BROWSE panel) with the equivalent "Community Home > Business Support Forums" page (which DOESN'T) reveals that the former page has additional "<h2>" and "</h2>" tags:

From source of http://h30499.www3.hp.com/ :

<div class="lia-browser-category-link lia-node-business-support lia-category-business-support lia-category-hpeb lia-browser-category-list CategoryListDisplay" id="categorylistdisplay_2">

<div class="lia-browser-category-heading">
   <h2><a class="category-title lia-link-navigation" id="link_8" href="/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support">Business Support Forums</a></h2>
   <span class="board-count">(10 Categories)</span>
  </div>

</div>

From source of http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support :

<div class="lia-browser-category-link lia-node-bsc-412 lia-category-bsc-412 lia-category-business-support lia-category-hpeb lia-browser-category-list CategoryListDisplay" id="categorylistdisplay_0">

<div class="lia-browser-category-heading">
   <a class="category-title lia-link-navigation" id="link_9" href="/t5/Printing-and-Digital-Imaging/ct-p/bsc-412">Printing and Digital Imaging</a>
   <span class="board-count">(10 Items)</span>
  </div>

</div>

Kevin_Paul
Neighborhood Admin

Chris - thanks for all of the detail and information.  We have a similar thread going in the community-wide feedback section (as the problem isn't only occurring here in the Business Support Forums area), and I'll be including follow-up there - we are currently investigating the problem and will have a resolution in place as quickly as possible...

I work for HPE.