Your Questions Regarding the Legacy Business Support Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the Moderators more closely check for duplicated threads ?

Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Could the Moderators more closely check for duplicated threads ?

I think because the system is sometimes so slow, the submit button is often pressed more than once. I think this is why we seem to be getting quite a few duplicated threads started.

Could the moderators check for this and delete the duplicate before people start posting replies. It would be very appreciated by all - Thanks !
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
21 REPLIES
John Y
Honored Contributor

Re: Could the Moderators more closely check for duplicated threads ?

Yes, that would help.

Hey Kiddo, busy busy I see !
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Hey John - less busy than I have been - how about you?
Laura Rooke
CA1284510
Valued Contributor

Hi Laura,

Sometimes due to working in different time zones, there is a delay in removing duplicate threads.

Thank you for your feedback. We are working on it and it will be taken care.

Regards,
Inderjeet Singh Phull
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Yes I appreciate the time zone problem - just hoping that you could monitor for duplicates , rather than waiting for us to post the problem in the feedback forum ?

Laura Rooke
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Laura
They get points from deleting duplicates, when we propose it.
Eino
John Y
Honored Contributor

Been slowing down a bit here, so I don't burn-out. Still enjoy it, at times ! It's crazy how much traffic your Dept generates,...good thing your their, to save the masses. I wonder how Charles has been, heheee ?

=no points please
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

@John,
don't be that cruel! She has not deserved it. This Charles really was hurting with the intention to do so. And that's something we really do not need here !!!

Rainald
P.S. The other day I had a really good laugh when I saw that on the "hitlist" in the main section of "Bussiness Support Forums" there now is good buffer between this guy and Laura

Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Rainald - have to laugh - there seems to be a really good group of people helping out now - we seem to all work together well - good atmosphere.
Laura Rooke
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

@Eino,
|| They get points from deleting duplicates, when we propose it.

ROFLMAO

But honestly speaking, this is truly
unfair!!!

Inderjeet really does what he can do if he sees the notices in here.
Most of his points appearing on the records for him are coming from me (because of my someway crazy activities in maintenance issues). He really takes care.

This does not touch Laura's point, however.
IMHO it would be the original task of the moderators to detect things and remove duplicate threads themselves without having been asked for doing that.

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thank You so much, Laura, for making this an official issue.

It's only too true that there are quite many duplicate threads - AFAICS mostly due to the system's bad performance ("wpa-pl-wpaframework-10000" feature).
And IMO it would be the native task of the moderators to take care of that.

There's even more: Duplicate *postings* in existing threads due to the same malperformance. This is a bit more difficult to see and I think that moderators might need a bit of help from us users.

But the issue of threads placed in a wrong forum is another thing to be cured by the moderators without needing a pointer by us.

IMO forum maintenance is a thing which should be done without needing what I recently called a "self-appointed Deputy Sheriff" like Me ...

You may all have seen that over time a pile of threads on forum maintenance posted by Me had piled up during the last few months.
It did look that crazy to see all them threads with a rabbit and a lock originating from Me, that the other week I asked for removing them all. According to the notices on thread removal coming back, I assume that it was some 100+ threads. Most of them would have been unnecessary, would maintenance would have been done by the moderators themselves without previous notice by Me.

IMO there is a certain discrepancy:
As I put it the other day (admitted: probably a bit too angry) in another thread on removing a duplicate:
At times moderators are quite fast to censor away postings or parts of them. With the same amount of energy spent on detecting duplicates and mis-placed threads there would be far less threads on "removing" ore "moving" threads in this place ...

Thanks again, dear Laura, for bringing up this topic and making it an official issue.

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

@Inderjeet,
thanks fro taking part in the discussion!
And many, many thanks for your continuous care for my postings on maintenance needed.

|| Sometimes due to working in different time zones, there is a
|| delay in removing duplicate threads.

Yes, there may be this.
But AFAICS there's moderators on duty "all around the clock".
And I for one normally detect duplicates and threads needing to be moved to some other forum far later that the issue may be seen by a moderators: Mostly my point of seeing things is the list of "daily notifications" which sum up what appeared in the last 14 hours. And the mail wit these normally arriving in morning (05:00 to 8:00 GMT) and I do not read them until the later morning.
So there normally is a rather big time buffer between the appearance of things to be taken care of and my postings asking fro that.

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

@All,
please let me repeat what I just now replied in my parellel therad on this issue
"Duplicate thread"
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1004136

>>
Inderjeet,
I'm far from blaming him (he seems to be the only one to appear as far the *content* of threads is concerned).
But he who jumps into threads to reply (be it on wrong language or on telling people that HP won't listen ) might also see when things are placed in the wrong forum and/or just an unnecessary/disturbing duplicate.
In so far it's not a question of who's on duty at which time.

Pls, dear Inderjeet, who you are immediately fulfilling any of my wishes on maintenance as soon as you see them, do not mis-understand this.
What I said in this thread (previously as well as right now) is not at all aiming at YOU (as a person) but simply at the *moderators* as a group.

IMO a bit of re-organization might be needed or at least of help to keep the fora going.

Thanks again for really taking care
Rainald
<<

What do you think?
Pretty dead this thread, AFAICS :-( :-(

Rainald
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

@All,
in order to understand what I had been talking about when saying that moderators might better spend there time on clearing the fora from duplicates and/or misplaced threads, pls just have a look at the following thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=997514

There you may say a posting of mine (dated Feb 3, 2006 03:39:28 GMT)

Not much about that.
But you may see the "footnote":
"This post has been edited adhere to Forum Guidelines - Forum Moderator"

Ain't that simply lovely?

I have no idea on what the censors might have censored away. No idea on what I might have said wrong.
And no idea on why, which possible conflicts with what, etc., etc.
Black box.

If a whole thread is taken away one does at least receive a notification that the thread has been removed.
Not so when the censors do their dirty job just on single postings. No notice, no nothing.

Apart from the "Free Speech" issue (one of the most basic Human Rights and at least for Me reason enough to leave this censor-ruled place sooner than later):
IMHO it's absolutely ridiculous to delete parts of a posting without even telling the person whose words have been killed.

Totally dysfunctional IMHO:
How might poor Me learn that I did say something wrong if nobody tells Me?
I admit that at times I am using "strong" words. Too often for my taste .
But:
The least of what I would await would be to be *let*known* (a) that and (b) what I did do/say something wrong.

Just an example for what this thread is about.
They kill *My* words.
That's one thing.

They find the time to do so (albeit poor Inderjeet*s excuse for being somewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere and not beeing able to catch up with time ...).
IMHO they might use their time for better / more important tasks.

Am I the Clown in here?
Doing the moderators' job by posting 100+ msgs on forum maintenance on the one side and being subject to being forbidden my mouth OTH?

Sorry.
But as said before:
It seems that my days in the HP "forums" are numbered.

Rainald

Jimmy Gilmore
Honored Contributor

Hey Everybody,
Rainald has a good idea. I nominate him as "Sheriff" of the forum so he won't be just self appointed. Do I hear a second? You got my vote,
Jimmy
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi All
I give my vote too.
Eino
John Y
Honored Contributor

Rainald, I'm suprised you didn't pic-up on the fact, that my mention of Charles, was an inside joke, between Laura and myself ! With all the defending of her in the past as well as you, by me and others like Steven,...come-on.
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

John,
I'm sorry for wrong wording anf or leaving out emoticons.
I understood that you had meant to be joking. And my image of a "buffer" was just trying to pick up this joking (in the "Top members overall" list for a very long time Chrales was sitting right next to Laura and when suddenly I got between the two I thought she might like taht ).

Seems I did have a good day that day :-( :-(
Pls accept my apologies.

Rainald
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

and yes.... I like the buffer, Thanks Rainald !
Laura Rooke
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

;-)
John Y
Honored Contributor

Rainald,...understood & accepted !
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks, John!