Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Comments

FredTheFifth
Frequent Advisor

Couple of Comments

Hi All,

First may I say that an excellent resource this is. A couple of observations though that I don't think are within my profile config options to change.

1) Cannot edit a post!! Irritating for the inevitable typo that is spotted later.

2) When replying I can only see the original message not the whole thread so if replying to anything but the original statement have to rely on an ever worsening flaky memory!!

Regards.
6 REPLIES
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Re: Couple of Comments

Fred,
1.) No way to edit the postings once submitted.
For avoiding typos (I'm a true champion in so far you might use a spellchecker.
"ieSpell"
http://www.iespell.com/
is a really fine freeware tool for having any kind of input in the browser checked for typos.

2.) I have been complaining over and over about the missing possibility to scroll back i a thread when replying. Obviously the do not want to change the interface in so far.
My workaround is to
a) Make the browser window as narrow as possible,
b) right click on the "Reply" button and then from the context-menu select "Open in a new window".

This will pop-up a new window for the reply and by jumping form window to window one can easily (a) edit a posting and (b) scroll up and down the thread.

HTH
Rainald
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the comments,

Regarding the edit function - only the moderators can edit threads at present, you can either request an edit in this category, use a spell check application as Rainald suggests or use the preview button before you submit your post

On the showing the whole thread when composing a reply - I have logged this one with the development lab as an enhancement request,

Cheers,

Gary
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Couple of follow-up comments

Hi Rainald,

Thanks for the link to ieSpell. Just installed it and will check this post with it (made an intentional error just to see). I've been looking for a tool like this, and I appreciate the referral.

PS - the spell check worked beautifully.

Gary,

Just to throw my 2 cents' worth in. I heartily concur with the need to show the whole thread when replying.

Thanks,
Pat
FredTheFifth
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

With regard to my first comment - it isn't always a typo, sometimes on re-reading after posting, it reads wrong.

I know, I know, but cummon - we're only hunan!!

Regards.
FTF.
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Pat,
glad to hear that you like the spellchecker.
Wouldn't know how to do without ;-) ;-)

I fully agree with the wish to change the interface for editing.
It would need a re-design. But iMHO it would not be too difficult to add a "window" with a scroll-bar for showing the thread's content.

I posted on this wish a couple of times.
Let's hope that Gary's request might finally be successful ...

Rainald

Fred,
I too only too often would haev liked to correct mistakes after seeing the therad again ... :-(

Rainald
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Gary,
|| or use the preview button before you submit your post

I for one have given up using the "Preview" features.
With the system's bad performance too often the posting gets lost when clicking on the preview button and if I have forgotten to copy what I have typed it's just too bad ...

Rainald