Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP_Help!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

HP_Help!!

The Pavilion,Presario forum is flooded with irate owners trying to either rid themselves of Vista or do a dual boot with XP.Unfortunately HP isn't posting any XP drivers for new machines and we contributors are racing to help locate drivers,most times with success,but others not for all.
Please,consider posting XP drivers for these new machines.It would go a long way in customer satisfaction and save us from a lot of hair-pulling trying to track them down and explain what they are for.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
60 REPLIES
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP_Help!!

I agree completely. XP "downgrades" have suddenly become one of the most popular topics on the forum...and with good reason...the current computers are offered with Vista, only. And you only have to watch the Mac commercials on TV to know how the Vista roll-out is going.

In my opinion, this is a bad time for the PC consumer to buy a computer. You're stuck with either Vista or the pain and cost of getting XP running. Given that people are passionate enough about this to dump an OS that is paid for and install XP, I would think HP should consider it important enough update the website to direct their customers to the XP drivers.
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Wonder if anyone is tracking sales of XP retail cd's about now?
Oops,hope no MAC ad guys read that.:-)
``````````````````````
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Cheryl, Steven,

I will contact some of the Pavilion Support guys about this. Would you mind dropping me a quick mail with some examples? I'll do my best to contact them tonight,

Cheers,

Gary
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thank you so much for any help you can get for this Gary!
Email sent.
``````````````````````
John Y
Honored Contributor

Well, all I can say is, Vista should not have been released for sometime, or at the very least, until all the hardware and software makers, were more caught up with proper drivers and such. I myself, as many other users here, removed Vista on a new 9000 series Pavilion laptop, due to what we've all heard, but my biggest gripe is, M.S. just plain blew it in my terms. They didn't refine simple things like finding basice apps like , instead they made it harder to find, not to mention renaming it, and a number of other apps to. So yes, HP needs to address this driver issue to bail all the unsuspecting folks out, who are now having to deal with this new os Vista. Hopefully, our man Gary, can rattle the right HP cages, to get some relief.

Good post Cheryl, it was needed !
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

What John said.:-)
Another thing MS changed that is confusing many new owners is how to shut down their pc,hiding it in an options icon.Some of these users are under the impression all they can do is let Window's Power Management handle it to put the pc to Sleep or Hibernate_which unfortuantely doesn't function that well on Vista either.
``````````````````````
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Amen Cheryl,

I've also seen many of these posts, and we're having to refer them to sites outside HP for the XP drivers.

Not a good thing for HP customer relations and customer service.

Great post.

Pat
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Additional thought. I read in one of the tech emails I'm subscribed to a few weeks ago that Dell has made the conscious decision to give customers a choice of XP or Vista on new machines based on customer surveys. Apparently many of those they surveyed did not want Vista.

Just checked their site, and sho' nuff. See the prominent green statement near the top of the page:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

HP's probably missing some market share by not doing the same and may want to consider it.

Pat
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Pat,
Just yesterday I was looking at Dell laptops after hearing that.Even in the Home/Home Office division units can be ordered with XP or Vista.
Haven't checked there software pages on home systems to see if XP drivers are furnished for Vista shipped versions.

I truly hope HP will see the importance of furnishing XP drivers to their customers who are adamant enough to buy their own XP os to install.
Would go a long way toward customer satisfaction.
``````````````````````
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Just ran across this article Vista Deployment â Delaying the Inevitable?

Gartner is recommending that businesses not consider Vista until 2008 and that they do a lot of preparation for it first.

http://www.solutions.ziffdavis.com/article/Vista+Deployment+150+Delaying+the+Inevitable/206747_1.aspx

And see the comment at the bottom from anonomyous at 5/7/2007 5:35:55 PM. Click the Read More link at the bottom of his/her comment. "Two days after I got it I'm contacting HP support to go through the hell of installing XP, putting in a dozen or so drivers etc. Why?...".

Not worth trying to look up the article at Gartner (A 2008 Windows Vista Deployment Still Begins With 18 Months of Preparation). If you really want it though, they'll be glad to sell it to you for $195.00.

Have to admit I did search it through Google, found it, and tried to get it by using Cached. That does work sometimes to get around barriers vendors throw up to their content, but it did not in this case. Bad Pat, bad, bad. Go sit in the corner.

Pat
Matt Falcon
Frequent Advisor

It's so nice to see so much public outcry about the Vista junk.

I installed a legal RTM version of Vista on my Gateway m505 laptop during the launch, and I even went to the local CompUSA for the launch event. I moved all my data into Vista and even went through the day-or-so of trouble to Vista-ize my life by sorting all my mangled messes of folders and cluttered desktop. I made it a breeze for Vista to manage my files and life.

But... no! First and foremost, for all intents and purposes, my 2004 system was very much up to par with Vista's requirements. It ran Aero without a hitch and was actually pretty decent. But the first bug I had was that I had to run a page file even with 1gb RAM, which dramatically decreased my performance right off the boot. Then I had to work with Vista's hundreds of OS changes - some just changed to be "changed" with no real improvement - and some that hadn't changed at all like the drab and boring Printer Test Page which was a carbon copy of 95, 98, ME, 2K, and XP's test page. Some things had changed for the better, like showing transfer rate on a copy dialog and the shiny "copying" image (very neat designs there), but at the same time they removed the current file name on a file operation and replaced it with time information. Vista also has a slew of new under-the-hood changes like I/O priorities, ReadyBoost, performance improvements all over the place... and... yet again, more negative under the hood changes like unnecessary reparse points all over the hard drive and a new confusing "local/roaming" AppData structure (among others).

But don't blame Microsoft for releasing a new OS with so many problems, after such public outcry for a "new OS" for so many years. MS really screwed up, but the public is a bit to blame for telling MS to hurry up for so long, y'know?

On that m505, I went back to XP with open arms, taking a few examples from Vista like an iconless desktop, a "Users" folder to replace "Documents and Settings", and organized files with junction points to the old locations. It's much easier to Win+R "c:\users\falcon\documents\tools\runscanner.exe /t 0 regedit.exe" than it is to Win+R "c:\documents and settings\falcon\my documents\tools........".

Yes, HP really needs to get with the program and let people stick with XP. We've seen how crappy Vista is, and they should give consumers the option to take the GOOD OS over the botched one!
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thanks for all the input/opinions on this issue,folks.

HP_the ball is in your court.
``````````````````````
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Cheryl,

I notice you left the thread open after your summation statement. Good move in my opinion as others may still want to comment.

Just a couple more thoughts.

Dell, as I mentioned, is still giving buyers a choice of Vista or XP on both home and business systems.

Gateway isn't even offering Vista as an option on business systems yet. XP is the only choice. They're also offering buyers a choice of Office 2007 or Office 2003, which was a pleasant surprise (don't like 2007 myself).

On home systems, they're offering a choice of Vista or XP (deeper in to the site than Dell - in the customize section for the individual machine). Last time I checked on this about a month ago, Vista was the default, and if you wanted XP, you had to call a sales consultant to get XP. Seems they're listening.

So I checked 2 desktops at HP to be fair.

Home desktop, d4890y series. Vista only. Not good, since most of the people who've tried Vista and are trying to downgrade to XP have home machines.

Business desktop, 7000 series. Choice of Vista or XP. Good for you HP. Please keep it up.

We've all been there. New OS or a new software solution are to be avoided unless they can be run side-by-side for awhile with the old one. I believe HP should still offer a choice of XP on home machines.

And absolutely as a customer service should, at the very least, post XP drivers. All the people here going through the painfull task of locating drivers outside HP when they downgrade are not going to remember HP fondly, or as a company that cares about it's customers in the future when it's time for a new computer.

Pat
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

And,

In the New Forums Discussions email for Sat May 26 17:30:01 EDT 2007:

Downgrade from Vista to XP required by employer (plus one more from the link within the reply to the one above).

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1130627&admit=-682735245+1180306151793+28353475

Existing external hardware requires downgrade to XP. Cannot locate LAN driver:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1130638&admit=-682735245+1180306866703+28353475

Finds Vista "impossible". Needs XP drivers.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1130585&admit=-682735245+1180308040686+28353475

Bought with Vista. Set up dual boot, but missing advanced startup options for the XP partition.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1130661&admit=-682735245+1180308116425+28353475

Saturday's emails usually have only a few posts compared to the weekdays, I think 4 posters on a slow day highlights the problem effectively.

I'm not a member in any of the desktop/notebook forums. Anyone have a rough idea of the numbers over there?

Pat
Matt Falcon
Frequent Advisor

It's so serious in the notebook Pavilion/Presario forums that I'm very, very seriously considering creating a single unified "How to upgrade from Vista to XP on your new HP/Compaq computer" website and a form-post so people can actually reply to the flood of people wanting to ditch Vista. Right now nobody has the patience nor determination to actually reply to each and every single one of them, so many posts stay at 0 replies. Never before has the software/hardware thing (hardware is what you buy, software is what is shoved down your throat) been so confusing to so many people.

It's quite sad, really! Vista is just that bad.
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Matt,

Since I'm a late adopter, I basically won't get Vista until I have to.

But, I work with a Network Engineer and also have a friend who's a contract PC tech, so I've had some opportunity to take a look at it. The network engineer is struggling a bit making it work with older OS including XP on networks but making progress. The PC tech hates to work on it at all.

Vista's the biggest user interface change in an OS since Windows 95 (from 3.1 and DOS). I found 95 intuitive and learned it quickly and have easily been able to make the transitions to 98, NT4, 2K, and XP. For that matter, I prefer the simple and efficient NT4 type interface and have been able to modify 2K and XP to give me that fairly easily.

I DON'T find anything about Vista intuitive.

I know it's more secure, but at what cost to usability? Wonder if MS has made a mistake this time? Guess we'll know by the sales numbers over time. I also wonder (and hope) if XP is still going to be made available long-term because of buying public demand.

Pat
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

With a lot of time and effort spent by contributors tracking down drivers the desktop forum has quieted a bit for now.

Laptop forum still seems to be jumping:

Downgrade Pavilion DV6226US to XPPRO need drivers

DV9310ca XP drivers
"also have 2 more HP computers coming into my shop which I'll need to down grade as well..."

DV2297EA PAVILION MISSING DRIVER FOR WINDOWS XP PRO

dv6305us Pavilion QuickPlay with XP?

Windows XP drivers for dv6548

dv6356eu - drivers for linux and XP

Windows XP drivers for dv6548

full xp pro dv9208nr drivers

XP drivers - presario F500

Windows XP Driver for Compaq Presario C518LA (C500)

Drivers for Pavillion dv2214TU on Windows XP

Vista Basic to Xp 64 pro

``````````````````````
Matt Falcon
Frequent Advisor

Hrm.

Think I should build a quickie database for Vista->XP driver translation links? That way, people that find the drivers (or find a posted link) can add an entry to to the database, and people that want to find drivers for XP can search the database for their drivers based on a base model or an exact match...

Sound like a cool idea...?
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sounds good,Matt!
``````````````````````
Matt Falcon
Frequent Advisor

Ahhhh... what I thought was gonna be a simple coding break from the real world has turned into a several hour job. But something worth doing is worth doing right...

In order to provide a robust, scalable system to provide and allow uploads of drivers by anyone to anyone, I'm integrating the HP Drivers system into my current Hostfile.org code base. Instead of building a whole new files infrastructure, user database, and comments system, I'm taking from my existing site the things I need, e.g. users, files, uploads handling, and building this new system around them. It'll have a search capability loosely based on system class or exact model number (e.g. will search for "000" in a search, like "zv6000", and chop them off to look for exact models, like "zv6250" as well), a comments system to call BS on bad drivers, user profiles to show peoples' contributions (but not required), and a few other neat things.

Done (or at least functional):
- Main page (borrowed from forums.php)
- Upload/submission form (borrowed parts from forums.php and log_user.php)
- Upload/submission processor (borrowed and modified from take_upload.php)

Todo (tonight or tomorrow):
- Submission Viewer (going to take from viewfile.php)
- Search (build from scratch)
- Browse (build from scratch)

I think this is going to be a very useful site ;-)
Matt Falcon
Frequent Advisor

Okay, I'll save the browsing for later, I can't think of a good way to implement it. I also lied... I finished it tonight. ;-)

http://hostfile.org/hpdriverdb.php

I'll leave it to you guys to come up with a decent basic form "go here" post... evidently I'm finding I'm not that great with words.

I'm sure I haven't gotten all the bugs out of it, but it's a start. Most of the code was taken from tried-and-true parts of my main site. The whole system is also contained in one big file and one additional MySQL table, which is pretty neat IMO. At least I can admit a public beta, unlike Micro$oft...

Some demonstrations based around my own laptop's drivers... of course, my laptop was already an XP book, so I don't have a great example...
Drivers Search based on Model:
http://hostfile.org/hpdriverdb.php?model=zv6000&act=search2
Driver Details Page:
http://hostfile.org/hpdriverdb.php?act=viewdriver&id=8

Have fun!! :D
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Good job,Matt.I have added a few urls to drivers for two models.
You may want to post a notice of the site in the notebook forum (possibly the Pavilion desktop forum?),get more helpers, and those needing help,involved.
``````````````````````
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Great job, Matt!!

Thanks a million.
Rainald
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Hi all,
in the "General" section of the ITRC forum a thread has been opened asking for a new section for Vista:
https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1126444

It would be nice if as many folks as possible would support this.

Rainald