Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP forums contest?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

HP forums contest?

I read the rules concerning the HP forums contest....and they do not make logical sense. It is a good thing to reward forum users for providing support to fellow forum members. If HP wants to provide a reward for a job-well-done ...then that is great. A better structured contest is needed though. As I stated before it is not logical/fair...

Most(all) of the forum members that answer questions do not seek any form of reward...maybe just a thank you. We answer questions because we care and really do want to help other HP Pavilion owners/other computer users. Many of the forum members are high level professional people from various areas of the technology(computer/engineering ect..) fields and enjoy answering tech related questions.

Even though a handheld computer gadget may be nice(many of us have these already), a better prize would be a tour of the HP assembly plant...a chance to meet with HP engineers...leaders ect...A trip to the HP meeting in California...

If you are going to have a contest....make it a big deal. Show you care about the forum members.....

I still feel that it is a good thing that HP is recognizing forum members...

Mike
15 REPLIES
Kaushik Tailor
Respected Contributor

Re: HP forums contest?

Good Point..

I dont really care too much of these points, I don't think they really have too much value.. maybe they are just a way to say a sentimental thank you...

Kaushik
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

Maybe HP could put us all on a plane to visit an HP design facility....now that would be a prize. They may even learn a few things from us. I would not mind helping design the new model Pavilion....I do have a few ideas.......Lets start with the case design ect.....
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the HP forums contest. I will pass it along to the folks that are handling the contest. Good ideas!

Thanks again,

Kathy
Forum Admin.
Kaushik Tailor
Respected Contributor

Good Idea..!
Lets also suggest a ducted fan and a bigger psu/case on all pavilions..!

Hhaha thats a good idea Mike, but however, I only think that these points have no real value just some sentimental value....

Oh maybe that little light bulb by your name too...

Thats about it..!
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

Have you seen the contest that HP has on now with the forums? Points earned this month and next..can determine if you win certain prizes. It is in how the winner is determined that is not logical to me.....Not everyone on the forums knows about the contest either.....I believe. It is being done by the relative increase in your points. If you are very high in points now.......you have to answer so many questions and receive so many points...that you will not have any chance at winning. A new person with few points has a much greater chance to win and the odds are stacked in their favor.

A more fair contest would be everone starting at zero point. Then let the contest begin. It is great that HP is doing something for the dedicated forum members that answer questions.....the way the contest is set-up is not fair or logical...........in my opinion.........
Kaushik Tailor
Respected Contributor

Oh? So there really is a contest and a competition with these points????

Interesting...

Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, there is a contest going on at this time. Prizes to be awarded................I do not wish to win if nobody else know a contest is even going on.........................
CA767159
Honored Contributor
Solution

I basically agree with Mike. The points mean little to me anyway, but if they're going to be used to score, they should be used according to a better standard. A relative increase doesn't give all an equal shot, nor does a flat "most number of points in N timeframe." Newer users are more likely to be less knowledgeable than those who've been here longer, know the lay of the land & have the advantage of knowing answers off the tops of their heads. Categories of more/less than 6 months would be fairer, perhaps using relative increase for those with less than 6 & flat numbers used for those over. There have to be demarcations & standards, but for all to have anywhere close to a fair shot there needs to be some way of a more level playing field for all concerned.

As far as prizes, I personally don't give a flying rat's patoot about either a PDA *or* a trip to the factory, so.... :)

JMH$.02W -- YMMV.

Bill
"Cheap is good; free is better."
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

The contest you refer to is only for points accumulated in the ITRC forums, not these Business Customer Discussion Groups. As I have previously mentioned, I have forwarded your feedback to my counterpart on those forums.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kathy
Business Customer Discussion Groups
Forum Admin.
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

Oh I got an email by mistake telling me about the contest......I guess we have just been left out.......it figures....................Thanks HP
Kaushik Tailor
Respected Contributor

Oh well.. wat can you do....
CA188158
Honored Contributor

And the handheld that is the prize is a Jornada which is being discontinued.

You would think that they have quite a few of these in the warehouse and could give more away.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Chris Kucy
Honored Contributor

THe ultimate prize would be one of those new ZX6000 workstations. Those babies pack some extreme power and would be the ultimate graphic design platform. With 12gb of ram, photoshop and illustrator would be a joy to work with. But I really don't think HP or any company would give away a 14,000 dollar computer anyways.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
Milan Antunovic
Honored Contributor

Neither do I, Chris

Milan
"The truth is out there"
CA486125
Valued Contributor

Sportsfans,

The points are NOT to assuage your egos, but serve a purpose.

Points indicate WHICH of several answers given worked... and which did not.

This gives the guy who RTFM and searches the forum database for answers first a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, points are a nice ego boast, mine included, but helping the guy who searches the database for answers is the real reason. And which is why those of you who DON'T assign points don't get answers from me.