Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2003 forum issues/suggestions

CA538024
Honored Contributor

January 2003 forum issues/suggestions

Hello Everyone,

Please let me know of any technical or performance issues you experience while using the Business Customer Discussion Groups in the January 2003 timeframe by posting in this thread. Please include the URL from your web browser associated with the error messages (along with the date and time the error occurred).

Also please post any Business Customer Discussion Group feedback or suggestions you might have to improve these forums.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Kathy
Business Customer Discussion Groups
Forum Manager
27 REPLIES
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor

Re: January 2003 forum issues/suggestions

I would like to suggest that zero be removed from the menu of numbers from which the question author can assign points. Not assigning points at all accomplishes basically the same thing, without seeming like some sort of criticism on the part of the author. There is also no definition of what warrants a zero.
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Steven,

Great suggestion! I'll pass it along.

Thanks!

Kathy
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Hello Kathy,
thanks for the invitation.

Let put this on the WishList:

In the old COMPAQ-days the fora did have a "search"-feature.
This most valuable.
One easily work in the right way:
(a) first look if your problem has been discussed already,
(b) post accordingly.

Unfortunately this has gone with the transfer to HP.

I'd urgently wish to have this feature back.

With quite some tradition in e-support I'm rather sure that this might also result in less work for the supporters since it would help avoided the same questions being posted dozens of times.

TIA and regards
Rainald

Da Larry
Esteemed Contributor

Oops! I did it again! Kathy, bail me out! http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x54a9afe90f1cd71190050090279cd0f9,00.html
If it don't stink don't stir it.
Da Larry
Esteemed Contributor

The ability to request notification by email is a grat idea but I have noticed in my experience it works episodically. Sometimes I will check back before receiving email because I'm curious only to find that there are several posts and I've never received notification. As I write this I've been posting while watching the NY Giants and the SF 49'ers and noticed that somebody has assigned me a nine pointer but I've not received an email?? Sometimes I get notification days later. I am going to update my profile, change my email address, and see if that helps. It shouldn't matter but it might.
If it don't stink don't stir it.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hello Kathy,

There is a problem with this thread

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x0aa4afe90f1cd71190050090279cd0f9,00.html

Could you please check it and "repare" this problem, copied a link yesterday but I think, netscape did produce something extra at the end of the link.

Kind regards,

Robert-Jan Goossens.
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Da Larry and Robert-Jan - I have fixed the links within the threads you mentioned. I simply removed a "=" at the end of the URL you had linked in your message and all is well now. Thanks for letting me know about them!

Rainald - there is a Search feature in these Business Customer Discusson Groups. You can find it on any page on the left hand side under the IT resource center heading. Let me know if that is what you're looking for.

Also, Da Larry, I have noted your e-mail notification feedback to the technical team. Thanks very much!

Take care,

Kathy
Ed Hart
Honored Contributor

Kathy: Is it possible for the folks who built this site to make the points selector panel more prominent and simplified?

Apparently many questioneers have difficulty figuring out how it works, and consequently don't use it.

The double click mechanism is inappropriate.

Note: It took me a while to get it right and I have peachfuzz on my lightbulb!

Thanks, Ed
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor

I don't know what Ed means by double-click, but I agree with his assessment. How about a set of ten point-assignment buttons that appear in a line under the reply until one is chosen...
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed and Steven,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them along to the forum developers!

Thanks very much for your continued forum participation.

Kathy
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Kathy:

Is it possible to add an "edit reply" feature to allow us to edit our posts either to correct spelling errors (uugh) or add additional content to our answers and such. I don't know how many times I have double posted a reply to the same question one right after another.
Thanks for opening this thread! (hugz)
-John
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. Currently, only the forum moderators have the ability to edit messages to change offensive language and such... we don't normally correct spelling errors due to time constraints.

I will pass your suggestion along to the developers.

Thanks very much for your forum participation!

Kathy
Ed Hart
Honored Contributor

Kathy: Is there anything that can be done about the occasional (but not rare) difficulty is sending responses to questions? Often, a sumbission will require two or many attempts to resend, resulting in multiple appearances of one response.

I call it "server belch"....
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Ed,

Yes, there are occasional server glitches which cause the forums to be very slow and may cause the trouble you're experiencing. I report these issues as they occur and the technical team is very responsive when it happens. I'm sorry for the trouble; we'll do what we can to prevent it!

Thanks again,

Kathy
CA859951
Honored Contributor

I can certainly understand limiting the use of an edit feature, but I am sure the access can be limited to your own posts? I suggest this because it is helpfull on other thread based forums like ezboard and such.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again John,

I certainly understand what you're looking for and why and agree with you. I'll see what I can do!

Thanks again,

Kathy
CA486125
Valued Contributor

Kathy,

I am opposed to the suggestion of eliminating 0 as an option in submitting points.

Right now we have a discussion going on over in the HPUX forum where 'da heavies are discussing spam, point assignment and the purpose of these forums.

Multiple submissions from multiple people. As a discussion points are not appropriate.

In a different situation, sometimes I post multiple responses to a single question. Only one response deserves any points, the one that worked, the rest should be marked 0 to avoid point inflation.
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

Good point! I will discuss this with the technical team as well.

Thanks so much!

Kathy
CA739836
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy,

Could you please let us know what forum policy is on attachments (apart from 1MB limit)? It seems that docs and images link OK, and executables don't? Is there a filter active for anti-virus reasons or whatever? Or is just a glitch..

For eaxample, have a look at Rolph's recent post

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xf26fef70e827d711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

Thanks,
Paul K
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

Hang tight if you don't mind... I'm seeing how much definitive information I can find out about forum attachments before I respond.

I'll get back to you ASAP!

Thanks for the post,

Kathy
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again Paul,

Thanks for your patience.

Please see my response to the thread you mention above:

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xf26fef70e827d711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

I realize this doesn't clear it up, but at least it's a workaround!

Thanks again and take care,

Kathy
BR704316
Regular Advisor

Hi Kathy,

I have experienced problems when following a link posted on a reply, where the link does not open in a new IE window but follows in the current window that I am reading. The link if opened in a new window (richt click "open in new wionw") has the coorect javascript:openExternal prefix which naturallhy then has to be deleted for the page to load correctly. Today the links are working correctly so I am not sure if it is possibly my one deskltop that is the offender, but thought I would bting it to your attention.

I am in aggreement with the removal of the "new message" button next to the "reply"

Would it also be possible to view, in the "reply to message window" the last two postings as well as the subject question tht is being replied to?

Thanks for a great site.
Richard
if it aint broke it will some day
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your message. I personally haven't had the "link" problem you describe, but I will look into it and see if I can find anything that may be causing the trouble for you.

Also, thanks for your other suggestions. As with the other ideas in this thread, I will pass them along to the forum development/technical team.

Take care and thanks for the time you spend in these forums.

Kathy
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy

Getting various errors
Error processing SSI file '/cm/QuestionAnswerContent/1,11870,LoggedIn!0xf42c5bd3782dd711abdc0090277a778c!0!1!0!0!0,00.html'
404 object not found

Regards,

Robert-Jan.