Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July/Aug 2002 forum technical issues/suggestions

CA538024
Honored Contributor

July/Aug 2002 forum technical issues/suggestions

Hello Everyone,

Please inform me of any technical or performance issues you experience in the July/August 2002 timeframe while using the Business Customer Discussion Groups by posting in this thread. Please include the URL from your browser associated with the error messages (along with the date and time the error occurred).

Also please post any Business Customer Discussion Group feedback or suggestions you might have to improve these forums.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Kathy
Business Customer Discussion Groups
Forum Administrator
31 REPLIES
Chris Kucy
Honored Contributor

Re: July/Aug 2002 forum technical issues/suggestions

Everyting running fine and smooth on this end, just a few messages with urls posted in them display improperly and make the posts 20 characters wide and 20 pages long. Other than that, everything is fine.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback! The reason for the "goofy URL's" within posts is due to having a "=" on the end of the link. When I see these, I edit out the "=" and all is well.

Just thought you'd want to know why this happens!

Thanks for all of your forum participation; I appreciate it!

Kathy
Forum Administrator
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

I guess my post about the contest was not a technical question, but I did want to ask it. It appears that few forum members even know the contest is running. I wish to remove myself from the running. If I compete with fellow forum members that have no idea the contest is running...it would be a hollow victory indeed. I have much higher standards of conduct than that.

A fair contest would be everyone starting at zero..then a on your mark..get set..go.........

Thank HP for thinking about us forum members anyway for me.....

Michael T. Cook
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again Mike,

The forum contest you refer to is actually a contest only for the ITRC forums, not these Business Customer Discussion Groups. I forwarded your feedback on the contest to my counterpart on those forums.

Thanks!

Kathy
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

It does make sense that the home PC/small business users would be left out of any contest. You do not have to worry. I understand why...the Space Shuttle engineer/system administrators ect........that belong to our forums are not worthy of being in such a contest. It still does not explain why I got an email informing me about the contest........................
BR682388
Advisor

Hi Kathy

There seem to be a problem with the "search".

Can't find anything in the forums ( eihter itrc or business )

is this a new option :
choosing either ITRC or business forum or both ?

I don't remember seeing that a few days ago ...

TIA

Fred
Why should I bother ? The problem will be gone with the next release ...
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for your message. I agree... something is wrong with the Search function and I have reported it; hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Regarding the splitting out of the Business and ITRC forums, yes, this is a relatively new feature; I believe it was rolled out a few weeks ago. Hope you like it!

Kathy
Forum Admin.
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again Frederic,

I take that back... the "splitting out of the forums" is a brand new function, just introduced yesterday. And yes, it's not working properly; the lab is currently working on it.

Thanks again!

Kathy
BR682388
Advisor

Hi Kathy,

Thank you
( and thanks to the LAB guys/girls )

They're fast : the search works fine now

Fred
Milan Antunovic
Honored Contributor

Some pages display improperly (too wide). I received one massage after replay on question that is the first time I have replayed. At that time I've had some replays. Everything else just fine.
"The truth is out there"
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Milan.

I appreciate your feedback.

Kathy
CA655597
Honored Contributor

Just wondering if you could explain the reason for having two forums?

Personally I don't see much difference between the two other than that the business one seems to be less popular and uses funky lightbulbs instead of hats.

Can't be to protect us IT types from dumb questions. We are used to them and they are an easy source of points so we actually like them.

Ron
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

Although there is some product overlap between the ITRC and Business Customer forums, they are intended for different audiences. These forums are for folks using HP products in a business environment. The ITRC forums are intended for the use of IT professionals.

We appreciate any help you give us in either forum as they are both intended to be peer-to-peer resources.

Thanks for your post,

Kathy
Forum Administrator
CA655597
Honored Contributor

And IT Professionals are not involved with a business?

I could understand different forums if the two audiences spoke different languages but IT English is not that different from business English.

Ron
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again Ron,

Your feedback has been noted. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Kathy
Danny Stokes
Advisor

How can I change my Reference description
These printers are killing us
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Danny,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I think if you click the "my profile" option on the left hand side of any forum screen, you'll get to a place where you can change the options you set up when you registered.

Hope this helps!

Kathy
Forum Administrator
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

Kathy, I have studied the contest rules and clicked on the link in the PDF file. It links to the Home PC and desktop ect..forums. I believe we are included in the contest by the definition of the defined rules and the link provided. The rules are clearly defined...and we are included. The legal theory of being linked....no exclusion in the rules.........see attached PDF with the link. I will be sending an email to Carley......If we are denied entry into the contest...I will protest it by leagal means............If you have a contest it needs to be fair......This was not well done at all.........
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Hang tight... I'm checking on this and will report as soon as I have a definitive answer.

Kathy
BR682388
Advisor

Hi Mike

In the first line of the official rules, you have the answer :

"IT Resource Center Forums Rising Star Contest Official Rules"

It's only for the ITRC Forum , not the business customer discussion

OK, the business customer discussion forum appears on the ITRC main page, but it's quite clear it's a different forum !

And in any case, with all the points you already have, you wouldn't have any chance to win

Sorry

Fred
Mike Cook_1
Honored Contributor

By being linked(legal theory) the business forums are included in the contest...the PDF was made by HP..or their representative holding the contest. An argument can be certainly made either way and there is confusion.

I do not need the silly little HP PDA. That is not the point of course. The point is the exclusion of the the Home and Business Forums from the contest(I still maintain that the Business and Home Forums are included). I was even sent an email concerning the contest.......

HP can do much better with their contests......this one is poorly designed, confusing, and unfair to all forum members........

I will be officially protesting this......
BR682388
Advisor

Hi Mike

...HP can do much better with their contests......this one is poorly designed, confusing, and unfair to all forum members........

Not unfair at all :

when you became member of the "Business Customer Discussion Group", I think you automatically became member of the "ITRC Forum"

( -> That's why you receive a mail about the contest ).

Personally, I didn't receive this mail, but it didn't stop me from reading what was written on the Forums main page about the contest.

Nobody's stopping you from acumulatiing point in the ITRC forum ...

Fred
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again Mike,

I've done some checking and I'm afraid, as I've said before, the contest is only for contributions to the ITRC forums, not the Business Customer Discussion Groups. These are two separate forums, although they share a common login (same login works for both forums). I can certainly understand the confusion and have passed everyone's feedback to my counterpart on the ITRC.

Thanks for your patience,

Kathy
Forum Administrator
John Sutherland
Valued Contributor

Kathy-
I have been reading the above forums for some time now. Then several weeks ago the response time jumped from about 2-3 seconds to a quite consistent three minutes.
The only answer to my query on the forum was from Milan based in Europe I believe. He stated that his response time had not changed.
To post this message took three minutes to access.
All other internet sites selected by this computer remain at normal cable access times
Thank you
John Sutherland