cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Products - Re-define categories is needed

Clinton Tam
Honored Contributor

Mobile Products - Re-define categories is needed

After the New HP is formed by merging HP and Compq, now the New HP have the following categories of notebooks:

1. HP Pavilion notebook (ze, zv .... )
2. Compaq Presario notebook ( x6000 ... )
3. Business notebook (nx, nc ... )
4. Rugged notebook (nr ... )

Why not re-define the Mobile Product to match the Forum to these 4 categories?
10 REPLIES
Kusuma
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mobile Products - Re-define categories is needed

Hi Clinton,

Thanks for your suggestions. Will inform this to the management team.

Best Regards,
Kusuma
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Clinton,
Thanks for putting this topic on the agenda!

I fully agree with the idea to create a new forum for the new "New HP" machines.
I wanted to suggest re-dfining alerady a while ago and then it fell behind :-(

Not only that the users of the "new" productlines won't find there machines. Furthermore the stuff in the presently used "notebooks - Armada, EVO, LTE, Tablet PC" simply gets too much. Last but not least the philosophy of the new machines is rather different from the old COMPAQs.

I would not follow you, hower, in your suggestion on using these four categories.
IMO one should leave the old COMPAQs apart and give them a forum of their own.

Just my 2 cents.
Rainald

Clinton Tam
Honored Contributor

Rainald:

You properly correct in stating that we need more than 4 cateogories.

How about we add the fifth one for all the notebooks that do not fall in any of the 4 categories as I proposed for Armada, EVO, LTE, and etc?

Clinton
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Kusuma,
might you pls wait with informing management until we'd have a working plan?

Rainald
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Clinton,
how about "COMPAQ notebooks - Portable, Contura, LTE, Armada, EVO"?
Hope I have not forgotten anything.
Main thing would be to group things together in a way that (a) users would not mix the places and (b) the series grouped together would be close enough together from their philosphy. I for one do know quite something on the COMPAQs, but don't no anything on the HP machines as well as the machines from "the new HP".

I think that prior to make final suggestions we should also have a look oat the logics of the "support site" (manuals and software). IMO it would be good to have correspondig sections for the "support" and the forums.

I don't think that the presently used categories for the product lines might make a proper matrix since most of the question raised are concerning *old* series.

Thanks again for your initiative
and regards

Rainald
Clinton Tam
Honored Contributor

Before the New HP, there are two unique branding of Notebooks. Namely HP and Compaq and each one had more than one product lines to sell.

Now the New HP has the 4 unique branding of notebooks and there are

1. HP Pavilion notebook (ze, zv .... )
2. Compaq Presario notebook ( Presario, x6000 ... )
3. Business notebook (nx, nc ... )
4. Rugged notebook (nr ... )

The Forum support should match the Marketing Categories of new product so that all the new user can find the support categories easier if they have any questions or concerns.

Yes. We still need to keep the Legacy HP and Legacy Compaq notebooks in one of the categories and I believe the futuer support should slow down very soon and it is especially those products are no long in production.

I suggest we add two extra categories

5. Legacy HP for all HP prodcuts that do not fall in the New HP categories ( 1 to 4 above ).
6. Legacy Compaq for all Compaq products.

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Clinton,
|| I believe the futuer support should slow down very soon and it is especially
|| those products are no long in production.

I can't follow you on this.
The most of the postings we have in the "Armada, EVO .... forum" are coming from users of *old* machine, many of theme have gone out of production more than half a decade ago.
And IMO there's especially people who got used machines. And support for thes antigues seems every important to me.

To create sections for "Legacy" products might a way. It would need explanations in the title and/or sub-sectors.

And: How about the names kept like "Presario" and "Pavillion"?
Wouuld you see the old models in the sections to create?
I would not like to see *old* Presarios together with Armadas. The product lines were that far from each other and support too that the philosophy would not fit.

I assume that it might be similiar with "Pavillions" but can't say as I know nothing on them.

Rainald

Clinton Tam
Honored Contributor

Support for any old product is always a challenge.

I am not saying we eliminate the Forum support for any Legacy Notebooks products manufactured by Legacy HP or Legacy Compaq. What I suggest is to move the Forum support structure to match the current New HP product roadmap with its unique 4 categories for Notebook ONLY.

There are PDA, iPaq, Jornada, Calculator and etc that we still need a separate categories for them.

For all the Legacy Notebook products if there don't match either the categories or the product bradning, we put them into the Legacy HP or Legacy Compaq sub-Forum section.

Most the Legacy HP notebooks I came across is the Omnibook series such as Omnibook 6000 and etc. As for Legacy Compaq, there are EVO, Armada and etc.

Lately a single motherboard will be shard as the build block for the notebook in HP Pavilion, Compaq Presario and Business notebook. I believe it will be the trend for the New HP to cut the development cost down and using a single design for multiple series of notebook in the New HP.

The latest HP Pavilion zd8000 is using the same motherboard as the Compaq Presario X600 and Business notebook HP Compaq nx9600. End user from any one of the three series of notebook will not able to tell the internal of those notebook are the same untill he/she able to get hold of the Service Manual.

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Cliton,
are you still listening?

I have not forgotten on this and raised the topic here again:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=948807

You are most welcome to join in.

Rainald
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Sorry, Clinton, for mis-spelling your name.

Rainald