Did you mean: 

Moving thread

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Moving thread

another one to be moved to the "n-series, Armadas ..." forum:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=274

TIA
Rainald
8 REPLIES
BR165264
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving thread

Hi Rainald,
Can you give a link to the thread you'd like moved? The link you quoted is for the N-Series forum :-)

Andrew
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary and those that have a tan.
BR165264
Valued Contributor

Rainald,

Which thread did you want moved?

Andrew
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary and those that have a tan.
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Andrew,
I'm so sorry ...

Not only did I post the wrong link (obviously still having the URL form my posting in the suffering therad on my clipboard.
Seems there wer just too many requests of mine ;-)

And even more I overlooked the content of your reply and took it for a "done".

Unfortunately I cannot remember which thread this request was about .
And no idea how to find it again ...

Pls accept my apologies
Rainald

BR165264
Valued Contributor

Rainald,
No problem at all, just didn't want to leave something undone if it was still outstanding.

One thought, in the ITRC forums, there is a single thread used for requests to moderators (moving threads, editing, removing duplicates), rather than one for each request. See how it works here - http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1114353

It doesn't have to be done the same here, but putting multiple requests in one thread can make things a bit tidier.

And if you want this whole thread to disappear, just say the word :-)

Andrew
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion, Andrew!
I know that it works this way over there.
There's pros and cons, IMHO.

One downside is that that IMO it's a lot less transparent and it's less abovious that there is something new.
The main disadvantage, however: one cannot assign points to the helpful moderators ;-)

And I'm pretty sure that my error would have occured too if a had posted the request deeeeeep down in a 100+ requests "general" thread or a "collection" thread of my own.

For quite some time in here it worked with just having all my *closed* removal/editing/moving threads deleted.

Inderjeet f.e. always did this "automatically" ;-)
As the piled up closed threads look really crazy, pls delete all of "my" closed threads on maintenance.

Would this way be working for you too?

Thanks again for your care.
Rainald
BR165264
Valued Contributor

Rainald,
I agree there is no best answer, and what works well in one place doesn't work so well elsewhere.

Just from my point of view, with a single thread I (or any other moderator) can subscribe to that thread, and so get an email every time a new response is posted. I don't know of a way to be notified of new threads except on a daily basis. I don't tend to spend a lot of time looking at the forums for new threads.

The thread owner can still assign points to moderators, and to forum members who point out threads that need attention (if you have a shared thread).

I'll delete the finished threads; I wasn't sure of the effect on points of doing that, but it's obviously worked in the past so I'll go ahead if no-one else beats me to it.

Andrew
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Andrew thanks for your opinion!

|| I agree there is no best answer, and what works well in one place
|| doesn't work so well elsewhere.

There is no "ideal" solutions, only compromises.

|| with a single thread I (or any other moderator) can subscribe to that
|| thread, and so get an email every time a new response is posted.

Yes. That's a point I did not yet think of.

|| I don't know of a way to be notified of new threads except on a daily basis.

Yes.

|| I don't tend to spend a lot of time looking at the forums for new threads

Agreed.
But: It's just one single forum.

|| The thread owner can still assign points to moderators,

The *thread-owner"! And only he.
And who would care about that?
AFAICS in the "Business Support Forums" area there are not to many folks taking care about forum maintenance.

And I for one won't be able to take responsibility and taking care of the shared "in general" thread on maintenance issues.
There's only periods with time-slots where I can be as active as I would like to :-( :-(

|| and to forum members who point out threads that need attention
|| (if you have a shared thread).

Great idea ;-)
What do you think how many points might have piled up for me would I have been given points for posting on maintenance issues??
(all of the respective threads were deleted upon my request.
But honestly speaking: In the past I wondered why there is no acknowledgment for helping to keep the forums in good shape ...

|| I'll delete the finished threads;
Yes, pls do so.

|| I wasn't sure of the effect on points of doing that,

Nor am I.
Did think on this issue in the past. It would be ridiculous if I assign points to say "thanks" to the moderator who cares, just to see them gone later due do the removal of the thread.

|| but it's obviously worked in the past

I *think* so, but I can not say for certain.

Anybody else knowing which effect the removal of a thread has on the points accounts??

Thanks again for your valuable thought.
I think that the subject would be interesting enough for the other regulars to take part. They most probably will not see our discussion, however :-(
Who looks in a the thread with the title "moving thread"??

Shall I open a new thread with a significant subject pointing to this one?
What do you think?

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Andrew,
me again;-)
For continuing our discussion and having more participants, wouldn't it be the easiest way to just edit the subject and perhaps delete the initial two postings?

Rainald