Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poster apparently posing as HP employee

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Poster apparently posing as HP employee

While researching a reply to a BSC poster, I ran across this thread.

If you take a look at the multiple replies here by "Support Professional", he seems to be passing himself off as an HP employee; however he doesn't have the HP icon, and his profile doesn't say anything about being an HP employee.

He makes many statements that, while not overt, would definitely lead the posters and replyers to conclude he is an HP techincal support person.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1084778&prodSeriesId=1140785&admit=-682735245+1179778022350+28353475&prodTypeId=18972

A few of them come close to being explicit, however, while still giving him a little "wiggle" room:

"...I am on the devolvement team." Have to assume he meant development.

"I am indeed a "true" support professional for the HP technical support contact line."

"I am a phone technical support agent and only post here on my off hours or when I have a free moment."

Finally, some of the information he gives I know to be inaccurate based on a phone conversation I had with HP after using the "Send a message to the CEO - Mark Hurd" following a report to the webmaster of a major error on HP's site regarding the 2600n and Vista. The site did not change 3 weeks after I reported it to the webmaster, so I "kicked it upstairs".

Thanks,
Pat
11 REPLIES
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Poster apparently posing as HP employee

Hi Pat,

Thanks for highlighting this, I've emailed him,

Cheers,

Gary
BR165264
Valued Contributor

Pat,
I'll leave Gary to follow up on this, I'll just make one explanatory comment:

> however he doesn't have the HP icon

The HP icon indicates a moderator. Obviously, if he had that he would be HP, but there's only a small number of us; most HP employees therefore don't have the icon by their name. Having a separate indication of an HP employee is something which is under frequent discussion.

Andrew
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary and those that have a tan.
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Thanks Andrew,

Pat
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hmmm,maybe that applies to this one,too?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1129180
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

I reopened. Apparently this is going to draw some interest, and I had points to submit.

Cheryl. Good catch. I looked at his/her profile and was surprised to discover that he's been a member at ITRC since June 07, 1996 (almost 11 years).

So, that brings up a wider question. Is there, or should there be, any process for reviewing and vetting new user names? My original post dealt with "Support Professional", which is generic enough to pass under the radar, but "HP Response Center" is pretty blatant and should have at least been noticed during his 11 years.

The reason I bring that up, and I'm sure you've seen this too, is that new members often will assume and comment that the people replying to their posts are HP support personnel. I remember correcting a couple of them in the past 2 months.

Thanks,
Pat
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

I have had that happen as well.Some posters automatically assume that HP employees/support are routinely responding to threads,many times requesting things that only an insider can access.
When someone has a user name that implicitly implies HP employee,these users will blindly follow any and all suggestions,not good sometimes.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi gang

If you read the questions that Cheryl's guy has asked, on his own behalf, I doubt his forum name has any validity ?
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

John,

You're right of course, but a newbie wouldn't even think of checking that nor probably know how to.

My concern is more for those new members that have wrongly assumed that the replies they're getting are coming from HP support rather than just us. Therefore, they accept them as gospel.

Pat
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Pat

That is the main concern of course, I just wanted to see what history he had. As you see, it can be very revealing. Hopefully, most folks won't take user names, at face value ?
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor

If someone is an HP employee, why would they not sign in under their real name, instead of some seemingly deceptive alias?
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Steven,

You're right of course. My main concern is for newbies who won't have enough experience to figure that out and will take it at face value.

As stated earlier, "...new members often will assume and comment that the people replying to their posts are HP support personnel".

Pat