Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent replies turning into new messages

SOLVED
Go to solution
N/A

Prevent replies turning into new messages

I know the issue of moving the 'reply' or 'new message button' has been discussed in the past to ensure that all relevant topics stay in one thread.

There has also been talk about changing 'new message' to 'new topic' or 'new discussion' to avoid confusion.

I have noticed a lot recently that other forums have a 'sub-subject' in which users can summize their response in a different subject. Like 'I disagree' or 'This is easier' and this could be partial cause for the confusion.

Is it possible to either 1. Finally have the buttons moved. 2. Rename the 'new message' button, and or 3. Allow sub-headings on the main subject?
9 REPLIES
Angela Kendal
Valued Contributor

Re: Prevent replies turning into new messages

Hi TJ,

Yep, we've been on this issue and I think the lab is going to make changes that will make the forum page more usable.

But your new suggestions are great, and it's nice that you have given us inputs on other forums' ui as well.

I'll definitely forward your suggestions to the lab. Thanks for contributing generously to the 'idea box' that's evolving so nicely in this forum!

rgds,
Angela
The best vitamin for making friends is B-1.
Kusuma
Esteemed Contributor

Also, TJ, you can see Dan's reply for a similar query in the following thread.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=605704

So, hopefully the changes are implemented soon.

Thanks,
Kusuma
N/A

Thanks Kusuma, like I said, I know it has been addressed before.

Is there any reason that Dan's thread isn't easy to find? It deals with forum issues, yet is in the Unix section of the ITRC Forums and nothing here in the BSF.

While I do visit the ITRC, it is very rarely and definitely not in the Unix area.
N/A

Angela,

Could you or anybody else answer the question addressed to Kusuma?

The only forum issues thread I have seen before Dan's that Kusuma linked to was Gary Caldwells, but that was linked from the sidebar as well, so it was easy to find.

Most people aren't going to contribute if they can't find where they are suppose to contribute.

Also what is the staus of the older threads?

If the same things keep coming up in new Forum issues threads, can a timeline be given? I know that is probably the third time that I have seen that. I haven't said anything myself until recently with the iPaq forum having a hot-button issue resulting in many new users, confused over the way the forum operates. While there are Faqs as I have stated in other Forum issues threads, nobody reads them.

This is true even about the Points FAQs with an e-mail telling you what to do, I have copied and pasted that to responses 'I'd give you points but I don't know how' more times than I can remember. And that is something that the author sees at least twice, if not three times.
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi TJ,

Regarding Dan's monthly issues thread, it's posted in the HPUX Category as that is the busiest category on the entire Forum.

With issues here on the BSC Forum they can be posted in this category. I do plan on starting a new thread for August, most likely in the Pavilion Category again, linked from the left sidebar on the home page.

Regarding old threads, we are investigating ways of closing old ones,

Thanks once again for your continued feedback
Rainald T
Honored Contributor
Solution

1.) A bunch of "Thank You"s to the moderators and the programmers for having re-arranged the buttons and having added the "start new thread" button.
It will for sure help in minimizing the accidentally broken off replies.

2.) Thanks a million to our friend TJ Adams for put this topic on the Agenda.
Although we can still his bulb shining bright, we are too sad that he can't appear in person anymore.

It was a really bad deed to kick him out of the forums.

Rainald
charles k. norman
Honored Contributor

It seems to me from a technical standpoint that on the question the buttons are too close together and the reply button should be in the centre and bigger. As you have the technical information on the forums as a HP product could you please answer a technical question. Is it technically possible for anyone else to award points or vary them other than the author posting the question. I thought the answer was NO until I read this https://www.beepz.com/cgi-bin/viewlogs.cgi?2004-07-09 and so I thought you might be able to provide a technical clarification.

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Charles,
1.) I agree with your comment on the *size* of the "reply" button.

(a) According to basic GUI design quidelines *all* buttons should always have the same size.
There's no use in creating a set of buttons the sizes of which are differing and depending on the length of the button's text.

(b) My daily use shows that the reply button definitely is too small from the usability point of view.
App. 4 out 5 times I'm unvoluntarily clicking on the "notify me" button when I want to reply :-( :-(

2. I do not agree with your wish to see the "reply" button in the middle of the others.
According to GUI design rules the most used button has to be in the utmost right position.
--

BTW: have you heard anything from TJ Adams lately?
Would you pls be so kind as to drop me a mail under
taesler AT web DOT de
??

Rainald

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

One more remark based on Charles' comments:

IMO there's another mistake with the button design:
According to the most basic GUI design rules the first letter of any PushButton has to be a in UPPER CASE,

"Reply", not "reply", "Preview" instead of "preview".

Rainald