Did you mean: 

Random Moderator Sightings

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1109344
Respected Contributor

Random Moderator Sightings

Hello all...

I have a couple general questions about th eroll of Moderators. Not what they are for and why they are needed - not quite that new :)

My questions is specific to the HP Forums. Do the moderators have unlimited scope and duty to police all the groups? Or are they specialized like most HP personel?

Basically - is it the duty or privilage of a Moderator from one product line to impose somewhat odd values onto the regular users of another line.

I was basically told not to reply to humorous comment by another user. He mentioned the text book quality of my answer ( it was a VERY familliar answer I posted back ) to a Post. I replied back about being a text book author, and about how familiar I was with the issue .... and we were reminded to stick to the original thread. Totally off base in my mind. HP has these set up as a place for their customers to help one another - not a ridgidly regulated forum.

And one last small item.. I replied to that demand asking if (s)he was a new agent with HP in their Boise group ( and offered congratulations if so ) . ... because I know that the DesignJet Forums are moderated by their senior techical staff. The moderator didnt reply - the moderator deleted the reply without a reason or explanation.

It just takes some of the fun out of concept. I do this because I can and I like to. Now I have to sanitize my comments so to avoid expressing emotions or a personality?
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
6 REPLIES
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Random Moderator Sightings

Hi Scott,

Can you email me the details of the thread and replies?

Thanks,

Gary
CA393246
Advisor

Scott,
I have to say this is rather disturbing. What you're talking about is censorship.

While there are subjects that are not appropriate for the Forums, humor has always been well received. There was a thread about favorite Sys Admin/user jokes. I and others have posted the link to the System Administrator Appreciation Day web site. That's pretty popular each year. There was a discussion on individuals favorites in the World Cup last year. There is a current thread on who will be attending HP World next month.

It's overwhelmingly technical. An oocasional diversion can't hurt.

I have to believe this was just as isolated incident. There have been threads complaining about HP support. Lambasting the Response Center and those were not censored. HP provided the forum and stood there and took their lumps. That's commendable.

To delete humorous comments is just silly.
CA649974
Valued Contributor

Hi Scott,

Sorry that your message was removed. The moderators of the site peruse across multiple discussion areas and are provided guidelines for moderating. This includes monitoring user behavior, watching for inappropriate language and materials posted, assisting in the use of the forums, and providing technical help, if possible. The moderators are certainly not looking to censor thought or take the fun out of this experience, so please don't be discouraged. I've seen your postings, and you're a great one to have in the community. If you can forward additional information to Gary, we'll take a look. Again, sorry about that...

Dave, thanks for the feedback. Rest assured, we aren't looking to censure anyone. Messages will be removed if they venture outside the guidelines too far, but we tend to be fairly lenient as you mention in your examples.

Thanks,
Dan
Because life is not a spectator sport!
CA1109344
Respected Contributor

Thanx guys,

I will think about whether its even worth further thought on my part.. probably isnt. I was just a little peeved at the time. As long as I know the was nothing improper about a little laugh I am fine with things ... kinda feel sorry for some one who cannt see that.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
CA393246
Advisor

I think I just had a similar experience.

I posted a thread about today being Systema Administrator Appreciation Day. Procurra replied that I was too late. Some one else had already posted.

So I replied that every one should follow the other thread. First come, first served.
Except, I added a line that said something close to:
"Damn. I didn't see the other thread."

Within a couple of minutes I had an email that my posting had been removed for 1 of 7 reasons:
1. You had requested the removal of your message.
2. The message was a duplicate posting.
3. The message contained advertising of goods or services.
4. The question was off-topic and did not align with the charter of the HP Support Forums.
5. Language, personal rants, or material deemed abusive, defamatory or obscene.
6. The posting contained private information on other users and/or HP employees.
7. Other reasons deemed necessary by the HP Support Forums staff.

The only one I can see that would be at all close was #6. I guess the "D" word was deemed obscene. My usage of it was more along the lines of darn, gosh, shoot, ah heck. Kind of like most nights on network television.

I'm wondering if there are enough moderators with foreign language skills to properly monitor the forums? I hope no one tries to slip something nasty in here.

Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

The most likely reason that your thread was removed is that it was a duplicate, these are generally removed to avoid confusion.

As for the moderators.. We're based all over the world.. I'm in Ireland :-)

Thanks for your understanding,

Gary