Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reformatting thread

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Reformatting thread

The follwing thread would need a diet because it has become really hfta ;-)
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=847400&admit=716493758+1112390988610+28353475

Rainald
7 REPLIES
CA484956
Valued Contributor

Re: Reformatting thread

Rainald,
The format is wide because Christak posted a very long url.

Unlike other moderators, I do not believe in using tinyurl because there is no guarantee that tinyurl will be around forever. The link could be lost. If the url is left as is, everyone can glean where to look start looking for an answer. This is the "teaching a man to fish" approach.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Cheryl,
I know that the thread has become that "fat" (sorry for the typo im my last posting) because of Christak's long link.

I share your opinion that links will better be posted with the original URL. I'm not a fan of just using a tinyURL which has the negative side-effect of hiding the information to be gained out of the parts of a link.

However,if things get dysfunctional - like in the case given - I would think that making a thread *usable* again would be the less severe of two evils.
The layout of the forums is rather space talking already and if thread goes out of shape things may get rather difficult. There's still people limited to 800*600 resolution (older notebooks) and even on my notebook with 1024*768 threads like the one in question are just awful.
Maybe I'm a bit peculiar, but even on my 21" Eizo with 1280*1024 I always work with the forums in a windows with the full length of the screen but horizontally narrowed to the minum required for the forums' layout. I simply need that in order to do my work in the forum (which the way I do it, most often requires two or three other browser windows for other locations on the HP website [documents, software/driver downloads, QuickSpecs).

As you may see going through the therads of the last weeks there were quite some postings of mine asking for reformatting. This always in cases only where a therad had severly gone out of shape.
Doing so not because it might mean fun to me and/or not having anything better to do .

I would suggest that the moderators' crew might discuss this issue in order to arrive at a common policy. It can't work in a way that one moderator explicitely expresses appreciation for support and the other one complains, postings for a tinURL welcome on Friday but not "Never on a Sunday"

Rainald
P.S. Dumb idea: Would on reformatting a thread and entering a tinyURL perhaps be a possibilty to keep the original links which don't fit for the borders as pure text and *mask* them in a way which would not enforce broadening the display ??????

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Hello merators,
can I expect a reply?
Will the deial of doing what I had asked for be a final decision?

Rainald
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thanks Rainald,

done,

Gary
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Gary.
Will it remian common policy to reformat a thread in case they have gone seriously out of shape?

Rainald

Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Rainald,

Yeah, we'll still use tinyurl for the time being unitil we find an alternative method,

Cheers,

Gary
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your cofirmation.
So I'll carry on reporting when I stumble over something.

The idea of "masking" the text of the original link does not work??

Rainald