Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2003 forum technical issues and suggestions for improvement

CA538024
Honored Contributor

September 2003 forum technical issues and suggestions for improvement

Hello Everyone,

Please let me know of any technical or performance issues you experience while using the Business Customer Discussion Groups in the September 2003 timeframe by posting in this thread. Please include the URL from your web browser associated with the error messages (along with the date and time the error occurred).

Also please post any Business Customer Discussion Group feedback or suggestions you might have to improve these forums.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Kathy
Business Customer Discussion Groups
Forum Manager
47 REPLIES
CA881354
Esteemed Contributor

Re: September 2003 forum technical issues and suggestions for improvement

ok, here is one.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe0559c196a4bd71190080090279cd0f9,00.html

was there a problem in posting new messages and replying to the posts earlier??

in that post all of the sudden discussion gets into the onetouch, while the posts is about the bat. optimizer

i think that there was a little fluke, in here.

anyways, thanx for listening

p.s. please do not remove any messages from that post, except for my multiple replies that got there for some unknows reason, go figure these x-files forums.

ok, have a good one

If It Ain't Broke, Don't F#@# With It
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Serge,

I have removed the duplicate posts from that thread. I see what you mean about the subject of your post going to another topic, but I don't think there were any technical issues with the forums last night that would result in a message being posted to a thread other than the one the poster intended. I certainly will continue to look into this, though, and let you know if I find anything.

Thanks!

Kathy
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy, i'm not sure i'm in the right thread, but it's the only one closest,-- anyhow were finding out a lot of people think by selecting the point value to a reply that thats all there is to assigning points, beleive it or not, idea,-- would it be possible to add to the submit button, possibly--(reply and points submit), or to that effect, for the button. !? This would or should eleviate the problem, i know it may clutter up the button a little but it should help alot, --or at the very least, put across the top of the thread page a bold bright color banner saying --(Attention when asigning points please choose point value and hit submit at bootom of page), i know this may sound a bit much, but alot of folk's just don't figure this out,--example--------------------------------------
http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xfe820ed5efcbf84fb90fa5bd89db345e,00.html
On the new light bulb issue, i hope you'll have a poll, for thoughts on some new idea's, when it comes time.? For now i'd like to enjoy my pink one for awhile, no hurry, he he !!

TAKE CARE & THANKS !
John Y
Honored Contributor

Sorry about the spelling on that previous reply, i'm running on 4 hrs of sleep. !
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are always looking at ways to make "points assignment" easier and more intuitive for folks. I will pass along your suggestion!

Thanks again,

Kathy
John Y
Honored Contributor

Kathy, just had another idea about the points, where it say's unassigned in the thread, change that to , that would sure ("clue them in"), don't you think, and it should be an easy and immediate add-on.!!! "Please" try hard to get this in, it's an easy way to help us out, and keep it more interesting and rewarding for all.!
No need to respond, i know you'll take care of it the right way !,-- OH thanks for removing the bump earlier,-- very kool kiddo, see ya !!
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy, didn't my last idea qualify for points.?
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Since you'd already received points in this thread for your "points assignment" suggestions, I do not normally give additional points to the same member in the same thread, especially when there are multiple posts concerning the same issue. Although we want to encourage people to assign points, we do not want to encourage frequent points assigned for non-technical issues.

Consider the following thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc616aa40df4ffd4c8316fd2113f795e7,00.html

This is a great teamwork building thread and I encourage such a thing. However, there are several members who received many points within this thread for multiple posts. This isn't really what the purpose of points was intended to be.

I'm hoping I can recruit you to help me keep folks from assigning many points to the same user in non-technical threads. This sort of behavior devalues the points received for folks that are only receiving points for helping (technically) other folks!

Thanks in advance, John.

Kathy
John Y
Honored Contributor

Kathy i understand, and i will do what i can.! But i hope i can count on you to push through my last idea pertaining to in the authors post,-- after all, it's the very least that can be done at this point to help us all out for the time we take,--not to mention it releives HP of (alot) of phone calls,-- (we're not getting anywhere now), right!!
Take Care, and thanks again for fixing that mess of mine for Francis'es congrats party.!
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy, can you delete the bump-ups in my post in home pc pavilions, it reads,--The Mother of all Startup lists, thanks.!
And this to.
John Y
Honored Contributor

Sorry Kathy, such bad manners, can you Please!!
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi again John,

I have cleaned up the thread you mention...

Just so you know, we sometimes leave things that you may want deleted as they make the thread nonsensical if they were to be removed. Please allow our moderators the discretion to do this.

Thanks,

Kathy
John Y
Honored Contributor

Sure no problem, --i couldn't remember if you guys cleaned up bumps in threads or not. Thanks!
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Kathy,
I suggest to assign points to the answers given, but if in the same question there are more than an answer of the same customer, only one of these answers must be rewarded with the points. In this forum I see many points assigns without merit.
Bruno.
Torino (Turin) +2H
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Bruno,

Good suggestion! I, too, see lots of points awarded within non-technical threads. Although we appreciate forum members promoting teamwork with "congratulations" threads and such, perhaps minimal points should be assigned within those threads rather than having, for example, one user earn over 100 points within one thread without helping anyone technically.

I appreciate your feedback and concern with this issue.

Take care,

Kathy
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy, just so there is no misunderstanding, the thread you refered to by forum user Magik,-- Magik was informed by me not to issue points to my replys. Obviously what Magik was doing, was with all (good intentions) i'm sure, trying to offset and to say thanks also, to us for not receiving alot of hard earned points, and for our efforts to help (alot) of very troubled HP users and Magik.
I do understand your point as i allready mentioned previously, but on the same token this is a (rare) occurance, and it does alot for morale of the heavy contributors such as myself and the others to get a little recognition once in awhile. I know it's your ship to do with as you see fit, but i can say as the owner of two buiseness'es, sometimes you have to overlook the small stuff for the benefit of the teams morale.!
Thanks for removing the (Slow Again) post, i was going to ask you, but i didn't want to bother you again. TAKE CARE NOW
CA188158
Honored Contributor

I think that HP has done a marvelous job with these forums and that nothing should change.

A very good slap on the back for all involved.

John
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
CA849624
Respected Contributor

HP is doing a good job, and because the constant improvement must be a part of it, let me tell you two things.

Duplicate posts. I have Windows XP Home plus MSIE 6.0. Usually, clicking "submit" once does not work. If I wait for 1-2 seconds, and click "submit" again, usually the post is submitted.

However sometimes I forget to press the button again, and it does not do anything. So I have to press it many times - and sometimes the post appears several times.

I think that you should simply include a routine that compares every new post with the previous (successfully submitted) post by the same user, and if the body of the post is identical, the new post should not be posted again.

Another possible bug. There might exist a bug - or a small administrator's error - that caused two threads to be mixed up.

Look at

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe0559c196a4bd71190080090279cd0f9,00.html

Serge asked about the battery optimization, and two users obviously wrote something about the keyboard, which either means that they misunderstood the topic, or there must be a bug.
Superstring theory is the language in which God wrote the world.
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathy !
I have an other suggestion. The higher scores of the customers it's OK, but is possible to add also the scores higher than a period, example every year or every month ???
(For encourage the active participation of the new user).
Thank you.
Bruno

Torino (Turin) +2H
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Lubos and Bruno,

Great suggestions! Thanks very much for taking the time to post.

We are working on fixing the continuing forum performance issues we've been experiencing. Stay tuned!

Take care,

Kathy
BR708059
Valued Contributor

Hi Kathy,

I still get no email notification when someone replies to posts I have marked for it. Is this still a common problem? I would appreciate having this feature available again.

Thanks,
Andreas

BR708059
Valued Contributor

Hi again Kathy,

please, forget my last post. Now it seems, that the email notification works again. All I did was a change of the forum profile setting:

"May HP forward information to you, which could be of interest." (Sorry, this is only a translation of the german text. It might not match the english version.)

Here I marked the "YES button" next to email address, which was not necessary until a few months ago.

Greetings from Germany
Andreas
CA538024
Honored Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Glad it's working for you now. Thanks for letting me know!

Take care,

Kathy
CA881354
Esteemed Contributor

kathy, can u read this thread dealing with high pitched noise in amd notebooks when running on battery poweer, and pass it on to the engineering team or designers or whatever or whoever designs / build notebooks. this issue was brought up many times by many owners of hp notebooks with amd processors, but in many cases the only response we - people get from hp that hp hears about this issue for the first time.

here is the one of the many posts that deals with this unsolved issue

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/0,,0xa805595fae8bd711abdc0090277a778c,00.html
If It Ain't Broke, Don't F#@# With It