Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for QuickLaunch Button drivers

SOLVED
Go to solution
nn6o
Honored Contributor

Suggestion for QuickLaunch Button drivers

Since the QLB drivers were pulled a couple weeks ago, there have been many requests for these drivers in the forums. I have a suggestion...

How about restoring the links to the QLB driver software, but instead of a download link, re-direct the user to a page explaining why the QLB driver software is currently missing and maybe an ETA on when a new version will be available? It would end a lot of redundant requests and calm some irate users who don't like seeing the "unknown" device in Windows' Device Manager.

Just a thought.

- nn6o

3 REPLIES
Rainald T
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Suggestion for QuickLaunch Button drivers

Very valid suggestion!

Rainald
Cheryl G.
Acclaimed Contributor

I don't understand the reason for pulling the driver.Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole issue,but I thought the security hole with QL had to do with HP Info Center(or something HP) and Quick Launch.
Most people who are looking for the QL software have done a clean install of there OS thus wouldn't even have the HP Info Center.
Those who have the entire lot will still have QL,or the means to reinstall it either from HP Recovery or Recovery Disks.

So what is the point of withdrawing it for "clean" OS installers.Or am I overlooking something?
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
nn6o
Honored Contributor

In case nobody's seen it, looks like HP does have a customer care advisory about the QuickLaunch software vulnerability.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01302560&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It includes a link to the latest "patch" for older nc/nw/nx/tc laptops with existing QLB already installed.

It also includes a link to the latest patched full version of the QLB software (v6.40B), but this version only works on the latest model laptops (models *ending* with the letter b, p, s, or w).

No word yet on whether or not a 6.40B "equivalent" will be made available to owners of "older" nc/nx/nw/tc laptops. If not, HP should re-release the 6.30 QLB software so people could at least install it and then the patch. The patch is useless for those starting from "scratch" who don't already have the QLB software installed.

- nn6o