cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using someone else's words??

Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Using someone else's words??

So if I give an answer based on an answer I've seen from another person, I always like to give credit to that person. I think this is good etiquette. Yet now I see someone using my words as his own and while I don't mind so much not being given credit, I think it's just plain rude to use an exact duplicate - they've obviously been cut and pasted. I know this, because sometimes the words or explanation I have previously given wasn't even that good !!

Am I just being over sensitive - what do you guys think ?
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
39 REPLIES
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Re: Using someone else's words??

Hi Laura,

You are right complaining. This said some people may just forget quoting the inputs picked from their "preferred authors". No offence meant probably...Just the lazy way to getting credit for a poor additional value from their side.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hi Laura.!

Yep, I'd have to say thats a bit rude also. Allways give credit where credits due, Right.
CA1016168
Trusted Contributor

Can you say PLAGIARISM! Def: Using words or ideas as your own.

Laura, Your right, it's not just rude... it's unethical.
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks guys - I so believe that in these forums , it's SO important to work together.
Some people are so great and such fun. Keeps me going.
Laura Rooke
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor

I would like to say I agree wholeheartedly. The experts-exchange site has rules of etiquette posted on their site and it includes something like this. I think there have been a few people in this forum that have a very self-centered approach. Most of them don't stick around, but I know occasionally they do.
Dexter Filmore
Honored Contributor

Hi Laura,

I totally agree. If you have gone to the trouble of researching a problem, you should get some acknowledgement if your answer is used word for word. Thanks for bringing it up.
Jimmy Gilmore
Honored Contributor

Laura,
Yes, you are being over sensitive. You need to steal every good idea or solution that comes along! Then make it look like it was yours. Gotcha! LOL
Give credit where credit is due Laura. That's the only way to be.
Jimmy
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Jimmy - almost got me going there! Made me laugh - so thanks for that.

Laura Rooke
BR709037
Honored Contributor

Hi Laura,

You are right complaining. This said some people may just forget quoting the inputs picked from their "preferred authors". No offence meant probably...Just the lazy way to getting credit for a poor additional value from their side.

;-p
BR709037
Honored Contributor

Of course, what I meant to say is I agree wholeheartedly with Alain's comments of Oct 31 (at 08:51:19 GMT):

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=730000&admit=716493758+1099345287901+28353475
CA569821
Occasional Visitor

Laura,

You're a class act.

I agree with you. With thousands of posts on the other side of the itrc house I can't always say I've followed your rule, but its a good one.

I for one will try and take the extra time to give credit where credit is due. With regards to cutting and pasting others words, once again I agree.

If you are going to cut and paste, why not just post a link? If you are going to paste and modify, its rude not to give credit. Frankly its plagerism and we should be above that.

I've just come off a miserable day of posting. I misread several questions answered incorrectly and was quite simply off my game. It makes me feel bad when such responses earn bunnies. It amuses me when such responses are quoted.

To avoid that, if a response is obviously wrong or could lead someone to damage their system (HP-UX geek here), I take the time to ask a moderator to either correct or remove the post.

Just a few ramblings.

Nice to meet you Laura.

SEP
yahoo IM:hpuxconsulting. 773.973.6269. http://www.hpuxconsulting.com http://www.isnamerica.com http://twiter.com/hpuxlinux Link me: linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/shmuelprotter
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Hey Steven - good to 'meet' you too. - it's sounds like you're a true professional who truly cares about the help he's giving.

Someone once told me that it's only the good people who worry when they do something wrong. The 'bad' people don't even realise that they've messed up and they don't care anyway!
Laura Rooke
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi laura,
Good point you make here, copying text just to get a few more points is rude indead.

If I use someone else it's words, I make a brief summery of the text and say something like: do it like staded above, or like is stated in this thread. I do forget sometimes to give credit, ifsomeone else is idea, brings me to antother one, sorry for that:D

In some forums you can use a quote
text
method, I never saw that here, maybe thats something that can be built in or du it manualy with the codes above.

Regards,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
CA484956
Valued Contributor

Laura,
Giving credit where credit due is certainly good forum etiquette and goes a long way to foster good will and respect among members in these forums.

The skewed point system and the lack of credit where credit due can be distracting at times.

This brings to mind Kevin Nealon's character in Happy Gilmore who said something like "you've got to harness the good energy, block out the bad. Harness - energy, block - bad. Feel the flow. It's circular."

Keep up the good job here and remember - points really don't mean anything, but what issues you solved and who you helped today does.

Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Good Pep talk Cheryl - Thank you - I know that points are not important because I think that people get a real good feel of how valuable one's contributions really are.
In fact it's kind of scary when people trust what you say just because of one's high points !

There are many people whose input I highly respect, who have hardly any points because they don't have the same time to waste away as I have !!!

Similarly there are people who have very high points but I'm beginning to realise the insane methods they use to accumulate them all and it makes these forums a less useful and pleasant place.
These are the same people who do the copying and they know exactly why they are doing it !
Laura Rooke
John Y
Honored Contributor

Cheryl...Funnnnnnny.!...And a good point....

Laura....Yep.!!
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Cheryl - if you're still listening - re "you've got to harness the good energy, block out the bad. Harness - energy, block - bad. Feel the flow. It's circular."

I'm getting too much bad energy from this particular person. My replies are crowded out - if I make a slight mistake , like quoting an approx price - I get a snide remark - so much so , that it's just not worth me contributing much longer, and I shall just surrender to this bad energy, as has happened to other people , so I know it's not me !
Laura Rooke
John Y
Honored Contributor

Laura, I'm going to put my e-mail address in my profile for a little while, I'll leave it untill 4pm central time because of spammers,...contact me.!

John
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

I'm here you can delete it in just a little while...
Laura Rooke
John Y
Honored Contributor

OK..............
John Y
Honored Contributor

Laura,...If it doesn't go then use upper caps on all.!
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

You should have heard from me by now ?
Laura Rooke
John Y
Honored Contributor

Yep...Check yours.?
Steven Hauk_1
Honored Contributor

Laura...Please don't let this get the best of you. We had some good people driven off by this sort of behavior over in the Pavilion forum. Your contributions in this forums as compared to the offender remind me of AGP...it's about 8x these days, as I recall. The offender reminds me of the AMD K6...It produced a lot of hot air but not much processing power.