Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are these forums SO SLOW sometimes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

why are these forums SO SLOW sometimes

so sometimes accessing these forums and navigating thru them is incredibly slow. I know it's not me, because all other pages are fine.
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
14 REPLIES
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: why are these forums SO SLOW sometimes

Hi Laura,

There's been a mixture of maintenance & upgrades going on recently. We're working on improving performance.

Let us know if you are having problems at particular times etc,

Thanks for your understanding,

Gary
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

It seems to be at various times thru the day. Please know that this was NOT a complaint, just wanted to bring it to your attention. I appreciate all that you do here. Thank you.
Laura Rooke
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Laura,

Thanks for that, we would always view threads like this as feedback, never complaints :-)

Cheers,

Gary
CA649974
Valued Contributor

Hi Laura,

I'm working with the lab on the intermittent performance issue now. Hopefully, they'll find a solution soon. They have both networking and database experts working on the issue. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Dan
Because life is not a spectator sport!
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks Dan - it seems to have got significantly worse in the last week. Sometimes it's just about unusable.
Laura Rooke
Ronald Aung
Honored Contributor

Dan or Gary,

how about informing members if there is a maintainence or servcing going on? I know the slowing or 404s are unavoidable but if we can be KNOWN of the down-site via email, it will HELP us know that, "OK, so it is down from xx am to xx pm.. so i will come back after xx pm to try the posting again."

It is quite fustrating to see my response FAILD to be posted after wrting serveral LONG paragraphs, hope you understand (i just see a "page not found") ?

As Laura said, this isnt complaint but a suggestion to improve the effectiveness of website down-time management.
Just because I been suffered, doen't mean someone else has to be felt the same way, so whenever someone encounter my problems, I try my best to help that person avoid the same misfortune that i befall upon before. Email : aung.ronald@gmail.com
CA649974
Valued Contributor

Hi Ronald,

For planned maintenance or downtime, we do try to inform folks by posting a forums thread (a new topic). However, in the event of unplanned or intermittent performance issues, that is not possible. What you are experiencing more recently is due to intermittent connection issues which occur without warning. Note that networking issues can occur at either end of the 'pipe', either at HP's end or the user's end (eg: user's ISP).

One suggestion, if you encounter a 404 after submitting, you can click your 'back' buttton and recover what you had typed into the message window.

Again, sorry about the inconvenience, and thanks for the idea.

Thanks,
Dan
Jimmy Gilmore
Honored Contributor

Gary,
I haven't noticed trouble at any particular time, just randomly slows down or can't get into the Forum page at all. If I see a time pattern develop I'll reply back.
Thank-you,
Jimmy
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks a lot of putting this topic on the Agenda, Laura.

I've been off for a week holiday-wise.
But the forum was really slow in the first two weeks of August and things were getting worse through the second week.

It was very frustrating at times.
Often loading was endless and in quite a number of cases I simply lost my reply. I've meanwhile made it a standard procedure to copy replies prior to sending them so that I do not have to re-write everything after a failed posting (as you know my postings often get rather long and on my side mostly it's not a 2-minutes-affair to write a reply).

Thanks again for getting this issue through to the moderators.

Rainald
P.S. The problem very seldom is a "404" msg. In most cases it's just a very lame or never-ending process of loading.

Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Dear moderators,
the forum is not only slooooow.
On Tuesday it was completely out of reach from app. 17:00h GMT for many long hours.

I lost a lot time because I thought that there would be a problem on my side.

For future cases I would appreciate it very much, if in such cases a notification would be sent by mail (taking the "daily notifications" lists as a basis fro a mass-mailing).

Rainald
CA649974
Valued Contributor

Hi Laura, update: the lab and support team is meeting daily and are executing a plan developed to address the performance we were seeing. We did block a few sites that we found were spydering us (introducing abnormal loads). The result has improved page load times. Nonetheless, more investigation is ongoing.

Rainald, sorry about the lost time on Tuesday....

-Dan
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

Thanks fro the reply, Dan.
Laura
Outstanding Contributor

The last day has been better. Thanks for keeping us informed - it's appreciated.
Laura Rooke
R. Sri Ram Kishore_1
Respected Contributor

Thanks Dan, for looking into it and you too, Laura, for bringing this up! I too have experienced such problems in the last few months but thought it was due to my slow internet connection. Guess that wasn't the only reason. Anyway, thanks a ton.

Regards,
Sri Ram
"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."