Advancing Life & Work
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Journey of a Graduate at HPE

I graduated from a 4-year Marketing and Management degree in July 2015. As part of my ‘sandwich course’ , I had taken a 13 month Marketing Placement as an intern with HP in my third year. Shortly after graduating, I rejoined the new Hewlett Packard Enterprise, as a PreSales Graduate in the Software Education team.

I remember the first time I have come across an opportunity with HP: iShirlie, PreSales for Software Education Services in EMEA at Hewlett Packard EnterpriseShirlie, PreSales for Software Education Services in EMEA at Hewlett Packard Enterpriset was actually during my second year at University. I always liked to be busy, and so I was keen on taking on additional responsibilities and projects outside of my academic work. As a result, I was always on the lookout for new roles and opportunities that could help develop my experience and enhance my CV.

For this reason, I applied to become an on-campus Brand Ambassador representing HP at Newcastle University. By doing so, I learnt to showcase my ability to take initiative, work independently and to meet tight deadlines in a professional manner. Aside from the immediate responsibilities of the role, I learnt a lot about the company in the process of promoting its internships and placements to other students. For this reason, I decided to take a chance and apply for its internship programme, which led me to where I am today.

My interests involve staying fit and healthy, so as a result, I cram a lot of activities in my evenings and weekends in order to make the most of the time I have to do what I love. My day job is predominantly desk-based, therefore it’s important for me to make sure I have the balance of an active lifestyle out of the office.

A typical day, would most likely involve a big breakfast at 7am (best meal of the day!), then in the office for work from 9am-5:30pm, and from 7pm onwards, I’m usually in some sort of exercise class. This can be anything from dancing, yoga, to any type of aerial fitness sports – like static trapeze and aerial hoops! Staying active helps to keep me motivated and positive. This not only drives me to invest focus in my hobbies, and train hard to progress, but also drives me to better perform in my work life.

Graduation Congregation Ceremony July 2015 at Newcastle University.Graduation Congregation Ceremony July 2015 at Newcastle University.

During the weekends, I like to take the time to explore the city around me: doing day trips, activities, enjoying eating out at as many restaurants as my bank account will allow! So far I have lived in several cities in the UK: Sheffield, Newcastle, Reading and Glasgow. In each one of these places, I have met a variety of amazing people for different reasons, and have learnt to engross myself in an assortment of cultures. Having moved consistently since moving away from home, it has become habitual for me to make the most of where I am, especially since it’s more than likely I’ll be moving again in a few years!

Volunteering for ‘Bring your Children to Work’ day at the Erskine office (Alien themed) – 2 car garage building with spaghetti and marshmallows!Volunteering for ‘Bring your Children to Work’ day at the Erskine office (Alien themed) – 2 car garage building with spaghetti and marshmallows!The thing I enjoy the most about working for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, after I rejoined as a Graduate, would be the flexibility in building my own career path. On paper my role is Pre-Sales, but since I am part of the Software Education Services team, management has fully supported my decisions to pursue gaining additional experience from all angles of the Education Organization. So far, I have been lucky enough to gain insight into various aspects of the business, from; sales, operations, and delivery. On top of this, I have had encouragement to go on exercises like shadowing and observe other business functions, in order to gain insight on a broader level. 

When I first joined, I was very concerned about not knowing exactly what I want to do, or become, especially as being a new graduate was really daunting, thinking that you’re expected to have your life together at this point! At the same time, I was worried that my time as a student, being about to continue learning and trying new things, was over. The Software Education ISR team in the Erskine office (casual Friday – we don’t normally look like we’re having a day off!)The Software Education ISR team in the Erskine office (casual Friday – we don’t normally look like we’re having a day off!)But this graduate scheme has given me the chance to continue to learn, develop and explore. It has given me time and space to look into what I really want to do in the foreseeable future. So it’s more than okay if you’re sitting there thinking – I still have no idea what I want to do with my life?! Because honestly most of us still don’t, and there is still plenty of time to figure it out. 

I still have lots of pages to add to my story, but I want to end this blog with my favorite quote:

Your smile is your logo, your personality is your business card, and how you leave other feeling after having an experience with you becomes your trademark.

Shirlie LeungShirlie LeungShirlie Leungis 23 years old, and was born in Hong Kong. Her family lived there, until they moved to England when she was 3 years old. From then on, she grew up in Sheffield, until moving away from home for University. Due to this mixture of cultures, she is fluent in both Cantonese Chinese and English. After studying at Newcastle University Business School, she moved onto her current graduate job, now working at the Erskine office for HPE, and living in the West End of Glasgow in Scotland.

If you want to connect with Shirlie, you can find her on LinkedIn.

DesireeCH
0 Kudos
About the Author

DesireeCH

Employer brand and digital media evangelist. Proactively searching for new trends and best in class practices to find, converse, share, engage and refer potential candidates and bring the best Talent for the company.