cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: LDAP authentication in HPE Nimble Storage

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

LDAP authentication in HPE Nimble Storage

Hello, I have a few questions regarding LDAP in my HPE Nimble Storage enviornment.

- First off, what does adding LDAP to my install actualy add in terms of security over AD?

- Can I utilize groups to set a permission a user has individually?

- Do we still need a local user to set permissions but they then authentocate to AD?

- Is local authentication turned off if we enable AD?

- What happens if AD is unreachable?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HPE Blogger

HI! We have a few blog posts on this site (which have been ported from our old Nimble forums) which detail integration with Microsoft AD.

Here's one that answers many of your questions (fyi do not be alarmed about the comments of requiring SMB1 - we now support SMB2 as of 2018 with NimbleOS 5).

https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-Storage-Tech-Insiders/Nimble-OS-3-1-Active-Directory-Integration/ba-p/6986357

Let me know if you have further questions after reading the blog post.

Nick Dyer
Global Storage Field CTO & Evangelist

twitter: @nick_dyer_
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you sir,

The article you linked was very helpfull. Howerver I still have two questions that I cant seem to find the answers for,

Is local authentication turned off if we enable AD?

What happens if AD is unreachable?

Hopefully you can provide some insight on these,

Cheers

Highlighted
HPE Blogger

Hello sir,

You'll be pleased to hear that AD authentication doesn't auto-switch off any local accounts created, including the Admin account. Therefore if you do lose connection to AD, you can still access the system via local accounts.

Nick Dyer
Global Storage Field CTO & Evangelist

twitter: @nick_dyer_
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Just to add on to this.

My AD scheme doesn't work with how the Nimble CS3000 uses LDAP. I noticed that even when logging in with a local account while AD was unreachable it would cause severe sluggishness in the UI while trying to sign in and even crash the UI at times. 

I am on the newest OS version BTW.