Around the Storage Block
1753787 Members
7932 Online
108799 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
CalvinZito

City of Hamilton dramatically reduces their backup window

Today I have another podcast with a customer, the City of Hamilton, just across the US border between Buffalo, NY and Toronto. I grew up about 30 miles from Buffalo and always heard Hamilton on the local weather so I enjoyed doing a HPE and Cohesity podcast.jpgpodcast with someone close to my hometown. 

I talked with Jonathan Mancini, Supervisor of Data Center Operations from the city. When he started to address the issues he was having with his backup window, partial backups were taking over 5 days. Over time the City of Hamilton moved to Nimble Storage and Cohesity, their incremental backups went from 5 days to 5 hours. 

Listen to the podcast by clicking here!

To subscribe to the podcast, open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture. If you don't use iTunes, you can find my podcast on TalkShoe.com, Google Play Music. and just added to Spotify Podcast, and Stitcher On Google, you'll get "invited" to try Google Play Music for 30 days - just click "no thanks" to get past this and get to the podcast.

Summarizing the podcast

• 00:00 - 02:00 Introduction
  • 02:00 - 06:30 Overview of the environment and results moving to Nimble Storage and Cohesity (backup window, and data efficiency)
  • 06:30 - 08:00 Use cases at the City of Hamilton with Cohesity
  • 08:00 - 09:30 Buying Cohesity with from HPE with OEM relationship
  • 09:30 - 10:30 Other benefits of the Cohesity and HPE environment and where to find more about the solutions we discussed
  • 10:30 - 12:30 Future potential changes with infrastructure at City of Hamilton (more hybrid cloud and getting rid of tape)
  • 12:30 - 13:30 Wrap-up

Find more

About HPE Storage Guy (aka The Storage Godfather)

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito and November 16, 2018 marks 35 years with HP/HPE. I've worked in HPE Storage since 1990. I was just recognized as a 9 time VMware vExpert. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 10 years. You can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. If you don't follow me on Twitter, do it now! You can also contact me via email

Calvin Zito
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Storage
linkedin.com/showcase/hpestorage/
hpe.com/storage

About the Author

CalvinZito

I have worked at HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I'm expanding into other areas of focus at HPE like HPE GreenLake, compute, containers, AI, and more. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage. Find my podcast at https://www.hpe.com/dmn/ATITB