108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-seed Former Replica

SOLVED
Go to solution
jloehr128
Occasional Contributor

Re-seed Former Replica

I'm wonder what is the best way to re-seed a volume that was previously replicated, but then replication was turned off (but the downstream replica wasn't deleted).

Can you just turn back on replication for that volume and it will resync everything with the offline replica on the downstream array, or do you have to 'claim' the downstream replica and delete it before turning replication for the volume on the upstream array back on?

(For a better picture):
Array A has a volume that was previously being replicated to Array B
After a while we decided to stop replicating this volume to Array B (due to bandwidth constraints at the time), but left the orphaned 'offline replica' on Array B
Now that the bandwidth constraints are resolved, can we just enable replication of that volume again on Array A and it will resync with the orphaned 'offline replica' on Array B, or do we need to delete the orphaned replica first?

2 REPLIES 2
jliu79
Frequent Advisor

Re: Re-seed Former Replica

I believe you just need to enable it again. There's no need to delete the old ones.

foodandbikes
Advisor
Solution

Re: Re-seed Former Replica

I believe the volumes will need to have at least one common snapshot so a differential comparison can be done. Without that you will need to replicate it all over again.
If they do not have a common snapshot and you enable replication, it will sit at "pending" or "100% complete" but never actually do anything.