4895 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unlimited snapshot quota using CLI

SOLVED
Go to solution
bambriy116

Unlimited snapshot quota using CLI

After migration to Nimble Cinder driver all volumes have snapshot quota assigned to 100%, which results in some volumes being taken offline when quota exceeded.

After repeating the same clicks for a few volumes, I've tried to use CLI to set quota snapshot quota level to unlimited. Failed miserably:

Nimble OS $ vol --edit volume-adbff2d4-b265-47a5-beb5-6972fb3a4820 --snap_quota unlimited

ERROR: the argument ('unlimited') for option '--snap_quota' is invalid

INFO: Use the --help option to view usage information.

Obviously, --snap_quota option only accepts integer values.

Which magic value shall I provide for snap_quota to disable that quota completely?

4 REPLIES 4
pdavies34
Valued Contributor

The valid figures are any positivie digit, strangely even above 100%, so in the short term you could set this to 1000% or even higher

I'm checking to find out if/what the valid "unlimited" argument is for you.

You can always set this in the GUI but I suspect you don't want to have to do this for multiple volumes!

Regards

Phil

wvanhoolst45
Valued Contributor

Phil is 100% right !! You can set each positive number, no negatives. Even zero is possible. But it will not be set to 'unlimited' .

I guess this is a bug.

Regards

Walter

bambriy116

Phil, Walter,

Thank you for your replies. I have set up a soon-to-be-offline volume's quota to 100,000% now (one can fit a lot of percents in UINT64 ). Let's see if it trips over some quota accounting bug.

Hope, this issue will be resolved. I like avoiding hacks in configs as much as possible.

Thanks,

Pavel

pdavies34
Valued Contributor
Solution

OK I have a definative answer on this

There are 3 ways that I know of (without creating a new volume) to do this.

1. Use the GUI

2. Use the REST API in NOS 2.3.x

3. Wait for NOS 3.0

Spoiler - I've not yet tested option 2 or 3

So currently the CLI will not allow you to change this back to Unlimited.  As of NOS 3.x it will (said with all the usual future looking caveats I can come up with) and Pavel was correct in his guess, it will be "unlimited" as the correct parameter.

So do have a look at the 2.3.x REST API, youcan find more about it here Nimble OS 2.3 тАУ REST API

There is a full API Reference in InfoSight: Nimble Storage InfoSight

Regards

Phil