108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Delete Nimble snapshot after cloning

kkendall
Occasional Contributor

Delete Nimble snapshot after cloning

Nimble HF-40 ... vers 5.0.7.300-644174-opt

I have created a shapshot of a volume 

From the snapshot, I created a clone. Now that I have the cloned volume online, I don't need the snapshot, but if I try to delete it, I get the error that it has a clone.

Is there a way to break the relationship so the shapshots can be removed?

5 REPLIES 5
kkendall
Occasional Contributor

From what I have been able to determine .... if you use a snapshot to clone a new volume(s) ... you are married to that snapshot until the cloned volumes have been deleted.

I can't find a way to clone an existing volume so it is a standalone volume.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello!

Fracturing or deleting the parent snapshot or volume from the clone is a feature long requested in Nimble. Good news is that within the coming months we're roadmapping this feature to be available - most likely as part of NimbleOS 5.3 or 5.4.

For now, if you take a clone of a snapshot, that snapshot needs to live as the blocks are shared between them.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Of course, as the blocks are shared, I don't see a real problem with the clone being tied to the snapshot. (Nick, am I missing something here?)

Unlike some other storage where a volume is copied to a second complete instance of the storage.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

JakeStateFarm
Occasional Visitor

I know I am bumping an old thread, But did this feature make it into version 6?

Thanks

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @JakeStateFarm

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button. so the experts can check and guide you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo