4403 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2810-48G Stackable?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stussy_21

2810-48G Stackable?

Hi, we have 2 new Procurve 2810-48G switches and one 2810-24G switch.
I want to stack these 3 switches.
The purpose is to connect all the internal clients (50) and servers (15), located all in the same subnet.

How can i configure and connect the switches so it works as one physical switch?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

You can stack those switches up to 16 switches manage from only one IP address. You must configure from CLI.

Regards, Jorge
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

HI

There is a good document for you needs:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/AdvTraff-Oct2005-59908853-Chap08-Stacking.pdf

Regards, Jorge
Stussy_21

Thanks for the answers, but i know how to configure the stack.
My question is, how do i connect the 3 switches, so that they work as one physical switch. I just use 1 ethernet cable between each switch? Would this not result into decreased performances when the data has to travel to another physical switch.
What is the best practice to achieve this?
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

"My question is, how do i connect the 3 switches, so that they work as one physical switch."

If you're asking, "do these switches have an proprietary high speed short-range interconnect?, then the answer is no. You would have to go up the range to a chassis style system.

"I just use 1 ethernet cable between each switch?"

For starters, I would use one. You can set up trunking later if necessary. Turn spanning tree on before you connect them in a loop.

"Would this not result into decreased performances when the data has to travel to another physical switch."

Theoretically, yes. In practice, you may well not be able to tell the difference.
Stussy_21

Just one more question.
Theoretical i should use cat6 to achieve the the best network speed between computers, servers and the switches. Practical, could I still use cat5e or is there a big performance downfall?
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Properly installed 5E cable should have no problem running Gigabit Ethernet. The main benefit in installing higher grade cable is that you may be able to upgrade to faster standards (such as 10 Gigabit) without rewiring.
Stussy_21

Thx for the answers