New Discussion юеВ

Re: Aruba 2930F port issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Solidblueliquid
Occasional Contributor

Aruba 2930F port issues

Hi Everyone, 

This might be a stupid question but we've been having issues with our switches and ports, and could do with some help.

We have three servers, two switches and a san, we've been trying to map cables but have been so far really unluckly! Is there anyway to identify the nic/mac of a cable from the switches? At least that way i can match it in the OS?

3 REPLIES 3
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @Solidblueliquid !

The most appropriate tool for this purpose is LLDP. In the default configuration, LLDP is enabled and in both transmit and receive mode on all active ports of 2930F. Just configure LLDP on your servers in order to instruct them to send information about their local ports/NICs and you will be able to see information about servers on the switch by using "show lldp info remote" command, like in this example:

switch(config)# show lldp info remote
LLDP Remote Devices Information
LocalPort | ChassisId PortId PortDescr SysName
--------- + ------------------------- ------ --------- -------------
1 | 00 11 85 35 3b 80 6 6 HP Switch
2 | 00 11 85 cf 66 60 8 8 HP Switch

switch(config)# show lldp info remote-device 1
LLDP Remote Device Information Detail
Local Port : A2
ChassisType : network-address
ChassisId : 0f ff 7a 5c

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Solidblueliquid
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this Ivan_B I'm using xenserver and their doesn't seem to be a way to enable LLDP on it, its just a linux server any ideas?
Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

If it's a Linux server for sure you can enable LLDP daemon. There are a couple of them, for example "lldpad". Just search for "linux lldpad" and you will get a plenty of instructions. Basically you need to install 'lldpad' (using yum, apt or any other package manager your linux uses) and then use 'lldptool' command to set appropriate TLVs you want your server to report to its neighbors. Same 'lldptool' is used to query for LLDP information on an interface. On the switch side it should be no diffent from any other LLDP case - you should start seeing your Linux servers on respective switch ports as soon as you set proper admin status and TLVs on your servers.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo