1752536 Members
5092 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Help with switch config for NetApp / VMWare config

ennorab
Collector

Help with switch config for NetApp / VMWare config

Hi, I'm atfer some help if anyone can assist I'd be hugely grateful. In fact I'm willing to pay for the assistance / knowledge sharing!

We have a small development environment consisting of:

1 x NetApp FAS2220

1 x HP2920

1 x HP5406

1 x HP C7000 enclosure with 8x ProLiant BL460c Gen8 blades (for ESXi 5.5 hosts)

2 x Flex-10 modules

I need to work through the configuration to see where I'm going wrong:

On the NetApp I have one interface (e0d) serving CIFs file share on the production network. 

The three other interfaces (e0a-e0c) are to be trunked/aggregated to serve the VMWare NFS datastores - I can't get this working.

There is a separate management VLAN to manage the NetApp which is working.

The NetApp VIF/trunk is configured as a VLAN and connects to the 2920 (config attached)

This is then connected to the 5406 via 10Gb twinax.

The 5406 is connected by ports E1 & E2 (trunk1 LACP) and F1 & F2 (trunk2 LACP) in Virtual Connect. (config attached)

I have configured Virtual Connect 10GbE Flex-10 with the various VLANs.

I'm not sure how to export Virtual Connect Config, so I've attached various screenshots.

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Help with switch config for NetApp / VMWare config

You will need to provide a diagram that shows switchport IDs, or, alternatively you should configure a "name" on every switchport you are using so that we can match your config to your physical topology.

You also should configure rapid spanning-tree on your two switches.

ennorab
Collector

Hi... here's a diagram and updated configs with named ports

thanks

ennorab

ennorab
Collector

An update on this. I've made some progress and managed to get it working, however, I'm not 100% sure it's correct.

Changes made:

- Removed VLAN interface from NetApp, and left it simply as a 3-port trunked VIF

- Removed trunk from interfaces on switch connecting to the NetApp controller

- Added IP address to VLAN for storage on switches

- Removed the VLAN ID from the storage vmk interface in vSphere

The last point is  what confuses me I would have thought I'd need to have the vlan ID on there as the Flex-10 uses vlan information for the various ethernet connections configured in Virtual Connect.

So the configuration now looks something like this:

NetApp VIF (3 port trunk) -> HP 2920 Switch (untagged ports 25-27) -> HP 5406 (tagged)-> Flex-10 ports on modules in bay 1 & 2 -> ESXi host 

Any help or clarification/corrections/suggestions on this would be much appreciated

cheers.

ennorab

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I notice your default VLAN is tagged on the 5406 uplink to the other switch(F7), but it is not tagged on the port on the other switch (A1).