1753807 Members
7744 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

HP E3800 L3 Routing

duffman667
Occasional Advisor

HP E3800 L3 Routing

I had a quick question regarding using a switchport on an HP switch as a L3 Routing port.  I know on Cisco it is a simple as the no switchport command and add an IP address/Routing Protocol.  I have been tasked with removing an MSR 20-20 router and my boss wants to use the L3 switch to handle all routing.  I will need to add a connection of 10.10.10.15 to the switch for Metro Ethernet and 172.16.0.254 to go to the firewall for the internet.  On the HP switch how would I go about this since the no switchport command sadly isn't available?  I assume I would actually have to create Vlans for this?  Thanks.

Matt

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP E3800 L3 Routing

The configuration guide just says something along the lines of, "you configure IP addresses on VLAN interfaces".

Personally, I would not like to mix SVIs & L3-configured switchports on the same device anway.

duffman667
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP E3800 L3 Routing

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I was thinking. Just use a stand alone Vlan on that one port and assign an IP.   And believe me, this isn't my choice.  I would prefer to replace the MSR 20-20 with a beefier router, but for some reason my boss wants me to consolidate all links to the L3 switch and use the router at a new branch location.  I came from a primarily Cisco background where it was as simple as typing no switchport but apparently HP deprecated that feature.