1753928 Members
9013 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

Iong45
Occasional Collector

HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

Hi all, I have an HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR Switch and was wondering if LACP trunks can work in Layer 3 or Layer 4 policy, but could't find in documentation.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

@Iong45 wrote: ...was wondering if LACP trunks can work in Layer 3 or Layer 4 policy, but could't find in documentation.

Layer 4 I doubt...Layer 3 for sure (with fallback into Layer 2 in absence of Layer 3 S/D related data).

Supposing your HPE 3500-24G-PoE yl Switch (J8692A) is running updated software K.16.02.0030 (released in May 2020) then have a look at its CLI to understand if it provides/supports a command like this one:

trunk-load-balance [L3-based|L4-based]

which, as example, is commonly supported on the bigger Aruba 5400R zl2 switch series (HP ProVision / HPE Aruba ArubaOS-Switch KB software branch).

The purpose of the above command is to let the administrator to chose between Layer 3 (default) and Layer 4 hashing calculations: when the L4-based option is configured, it enables load balancing based on Layer 4 information if it is present, if it is not present, Layer 3 information is used if present as a fallback; if Layer 3 information is not present, Layer2 information is used.

The configuration is executed in global configuration context and applies to the entire switch (for all Port Trunks).

Defaults: L3-based load balancing.

Edit: I was too curious...despite what I wrote above...it seems that the K software branch supports Layer 4 balancing...see here (this is the latest HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for K/KA/KB.16.02 software branches published in November 2016, 3rd Edition)...L4-based looks available. I haven't an HP ProCurve 3500 yl to confirm (well...to be honest...I have two but they are piled among a lot other old switches...and it will be difficult to unpile one safely to just perform a test!).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Iong45
Occasional Collector

Thank you, I will try to upgrade to that version and will reply if was able to run on L4 load balacing.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Perfect!

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner