Aruba & ProVision-based
1751923 Members
4691 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP2920-48G-POE (J9729A) Firmware update issue (from 15.16.0011 to 16.02.0010) WinSCP

SOLVED
Go to solution
PeterCap
Occasional Contributor

HP2920-48G-POE (J9729A) Firmware update issue (from 15.16.0011 to 16.02.0010) WinSCP

Hello,

I'm having an issue while updating the firmware of my switch through SFTP with WinSCP Software.
"ip ssh filetransfer" is enabled
I also have an "ip shh listen oobm" line in my conf, and of course i'm connecting through the oobm's IP
Default boot is set to "Primary"

Here is what i've done :

• Connecting to my switch using SFTP with WinSCP
  • Navigate to "/os" folder
  • Copy/Paste the primary or the secondary => ERROR CODE 3 (permission denied) (see attached file)

The same thing happen when I try to remove the secondary or primary file instead of overwriting it.

Please notice that i made another test with another switch with the same firmware (15.16.0011) and everything went fine ! The only difference in the configuration is that the first one (which doesn't work) use OOBM while the second one (which work) do not use OOBM.

So is there any known issue about OOBM and SFTP ? It's really weird that I'm able to connect with WinSCP and navigate inside my switch's folder but I can't overwrite both the primary or the secondary.

Thank you for your help

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HP2920-48G-POE (J9729A) Firmware update issue (from 15.16.0011 to 16.02.0010) WinSCP

Just curious: Is the primary/secondary file timestamps (Year 2036?) and permissions (rwxrw----) the same on both switches (OoBM and not OoBM) used for SCP file transfer testing?

Then, why exactly using WB.16.02.0010 (August 2016) when the latest one available is WB.16.02.0016 (January 2017) if the starting point is WB.15.16.0011 (November 2015)? Is software version WB.16.02.0010 special?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP2920-48G-POE (J9729A) Firmware update issue (from 15.16.0011 to 16.02.0010) WinSCP

The OOBM should work the same as the data plane with respect to SFTP.  I didn't get the exact same error but the switch's file system won't let you create new files.  You can only write to existing ones, otherwise you get a permission error.  By default I think WinSCP is trying to write a temp file then rename it.  You can disable that functionality under Preferences/Endurance.

I was able to load a build on WB.15.16.0011 after disabling that. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I second @Michael Patmon: if so, the WinSCP option to be disabled is "Enable transfer resume/transfer to temporary filename for" found under WinSCP Preference -> Transfer -> Endurance.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
PeterCap
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Thank you very much for the answers.

First of all I'm upgrading from an old version to another old version (15.16.0011 to 16.02.0010) because unfortunately the choice of the version is not up to me.

I was able to upgrade my switch this morning by issuing an SFTP transfer from the switch. The command I used was : "copy sftp flash ......secondary"

So then I just had to reload my switch and make a "copy flash flash primary" and everything was fine.

Unfortunately I didn't resolve my first issue which I encountered while trying to upload the secondary file through SFTP using WinSCP.

• YES I renamed my file exactly the same than it is on the switch's flash : "secondary" without the ".swi" of course
  • YES I disabled the resume functionality of WinSCP so that it directly overwrites the file in the switch and it doesn't create a ".part" or something like that.

I believe that the issue seems to be a security rule on the switch configuration because I can navigate through the switch's folder with WinSCP but I cannot copy/paste (overwrite) the primary or the secondary file.

Indeed what is curious is that I can perfectly navigate in the switch's folder but IтАЩm not allowed to overwrite my secondary or primary file...

EDIT : It works.

After reloading the switch and upgrading it I can copy/paste the primary or secondary file to the switch. I remember that I did not reboot the switch after issuing the command "IP SSH Filetransfer" so perhaps a reload is necessary for this command to be taken in consideration.

Anyway thank you for the answer, I will mark the post as resolved.