8961 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 2530-24G Switch(J9776A) Update Firmware Guide Needed

SOLVED
Go to solution
JC-Koh

HPE 2530-24G Switch(J9776A) Update Firmware Guide Needed

Got this unit 2013, had never update firmware ever since. Currently at YA.15.10.0003, ROM YA.15.09
Badly need guide on GUI web, as i'm a idiot on telnet / direct console.

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello

Download the firmware file to your PC.

Open a web GUI session with the switch and make sure that you are logged in with manager credentials.

In the GUI go to System-- > Updates/Downloads.

On the bottom of the page you will see the section “Software image” with Primary and Secondary partition.

You should select which image/partition you want to update. The switch can use either of them. You don’t need to have the same version in both partitions. You can keep an older version in one of the partitions so you can quickly downgrade if you have issues with the new version.

After clicking on button “Update” against the selected partition, the switch presents the Button “chose a file”. Clicking on it gives you the opportunity to select the firmware file you want to install from a folder on your PC. After the file is chosen click on “Save”. The switch will display a message that the file upload is in progress.

After the upload is finished you should see the new firmware version in the selected partition. However in order to activate the software you need to reboot the switch from the partition that you updated. I couldn’t see an option in the GUI to select from which partition to boot. There is a button REBOOT which doesn’t provide this options and will reboot the switch from the partition from which the switch was booted the last time. If you updated the same partition from which the switch booted the last time, booting from the GUI should update the version.

If you are not, you should go to the CLI and enter the following command depending on which partition you updated.

Boot system flash primary

Or

Boot system flash secondary

The switch will reboot and will run the new version.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to go to the CLI, you can update both partitions and reboot the switch via the GUI.

You have now YA.15.10.0003, this instruction should apply to the GUI in this version.

If you update to some of the latest versions, the look of the GUI will change and this instruction will not apply any longer. However for the new webGUI there is a good documentation in the Aruba Basic Operation Guide, Chapter 3 SwitchUI.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00091314en_us

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JC-Koh

Thanks very much. Got it to work

One more question
*Can the backup config file from firmware version YA15.10 load in the latest YA16.08 ? if no what should I do ?

Br,
JC KOH
IMPIAN IT SERVICES

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello, 

The FW update should not reset the configuration to factory defaults. So when you update the FW the existing configuration settings are preserved and it is not necessary to restore a configuration backup. 

If you lost the settings for some other reason or deleted them before the update, I dont think that restoring a configuration backup made under YA.15.10 should cause any problems. Problems can appear if the configuration is using feature which are available in one version but not available in other. All the features in YA.15.10.0003 should be supported by YA.16.08.x.

If it fails for some reason, you can try to manually restore the settings. Open the configuration file in a text editor and copy all the settings. Open a CLI session with the switch, if you see the prompt > type enable and login with manager credentials then type configure terminal. The prompt should change to something like

HP-2530-48G(config)#

You can try to paste the content of the configuration file at this prompt. One line at a time or all together

Observe if the switch displays any errors.

enter show running-config and compare if this what is displayed matches what you see in the configaration file. Save the settings with the command write memory

HP-2530-48G(config)#write memory

This should work for the majority of the settings.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jessie_O
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I am new to HP switches and I have the same switch as is in the original question on this thread.

I am aware that I do not need a license to unlock any features in Aruba 3810 and was wondering if that is also true with 

HP 2530 switches.

Do I need a license for this switch?

Also, I know it sounds strange to entertain the idea of a FW downgrade but is it possible?

Thank you.

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello @Jessie_O 

You don't need a license to unlock any features on Aruba 2530. But you should keep in mind that 2530 are positioned as Layer 2 access switches. For this reason they lack a lot of features which can be found in Aruba 3810 but this is by design and cannot be changed with a license.

Firmware downgrade is possible. The switch has 2 flash partitions for firmware, also known as firmware banks -primary and secondary. The switch can be booted either with the firmware version in primary or secondary. Both firmware banks can contain different firmware versions which makes a downgrade very easy. For example you have the old version in primary and you upload a new version in secondary. You upgrade the switch by booting from secondary (CLI command boot system flash secondary). If you notice that the switch doesnt work as expected the downgrade is simply a matter of booting the switch from the primary flash where the old version is still stored (boot system flash primary).  Of course if you need to downgrade to a version which was not used before you have to upload it to one of the firmware banks.

A downgrade is possible but can be disruptive because software updates can contain new features and enhancements. If you are using one of the features available only in the latest version and you downgrade to an old version this can cause unpredictable behavior. Thats why before a downgrade you should read the section "Upgrade restrictions and guidelines" in the Release Notes and also section "Best practices, recommendations and precautions" in the Aruba Basic Operation Guide

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00091314en_us

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jessie_O
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

It is a lot clearer to me now.

Jessie_O
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I have a different question from the original question on this thread.

I have been informed that Aruba 3810 does not make use of vlan files and that when replacing a switch, you need only backup the FW image and configuration, then copy them to the new switch.

However, the document below states the following;

"If VLANs are configured on the switch, determine the name of the VLAN in which the TFTP server is operating."

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/Aruba/16.08/5200-5491/index.html#s_Using_TFTP_to_download_software_from_a_server.html

I am just wondering why I need that information in order to transfer files.

Please explain.

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello @Jessie_O

I can confirm that the switch doesn't use separate files to store VLAN database (vlan.dat files) if you mean that. The whole vlan configuration is stored in the configuration file along with all other settings.  (Only the local admin credentials are stored in a separate file by default but this can be changed)

Regarding the line you have highlighted, I am not sure. This doesnt make sense for me as well. if you look at the context, you see that it should be information you need for the TFTP copy command, here you have the IP of the TFTP server and the name of the software file.

Before you proceed, complete the following:

• Obtain the IP address of the TFTP server in which the software file has been stored.

If VLANs are configured on the switch, determine the name of the VLAN in which the TFTP server is operating.

• Determine the name of the software file stored in the TFTP server for the switch (for example, E0820.swi.

However the VLAN name is not a parameter used in the copy command. I can only speculate that determining the VLAN in which the TFTP server is operating is only necessary in order to make sure that the switch has Layer 2 and IP connectivity to this VLAN. 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo