6958 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: interconnect procurve 2810-48G with a cisco 2950 switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
tbog

interconnect procurve 2810-48G with a cisco 2950 switch

I amm trying to connect a procurve 2810-48G switch to a cisco 2950. I have created a vlan on the procurve switch and am assuming i will have to have a trunk link between the switches *which i am having trouble doing....could you please advice on any tips or what to do to complete the configuration not just for the trunk link, i have never worked with procurve switches/products but am pretty confident with cisco devices. the cisco switch connects to the core switch 4506 on which all the seves are connected.

Thank you

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

It really all depends on how your 2950 and the rest of your infrastructure is configured and what your trying to do...

If you start by configuring one port the 2950 for a single static VLAN, you can connect it to the 2810 and run the default settings for basic connectivity with little to no need for configuring the ProCurve. Beyond that, you'll need to have a plan of what features you want to use before much else can be done.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

tbog

Dennis this is what i am tryingg to achieve- the procurve switch i am configuring will be placed in a training room for the company, and i wanted to place the users in the training room on a separate vlan for security reasons but also allow them access to some of servers in the server room which are connected to the core switch, the challenge is that this procurve switch unlike the other switches in the building has not got a cable running straight from it to the core switch and has to run via a switch on the 1st floor which has a connection to the core switch. I hope what i am trying to do is clearer now and you can assist me further on how to approach the prolem..
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The training link above will help you with a general approach to interop configuration.

What you are describing is fairly simple. If your server VLAN is already on the 1st floor switch, then you can either configure that switch's downlink port as an access port or as a trunk port with 802.1 encapsulation for the server VLAN. Whichever way you choose to configure it, the ProCurve will need to be configured the same on its uplink port (untagged if you set the Cisco to access port; tagged if you set the Cisco to trunk port). If your 1st floor doesn't already have the server VLAN on it, you could trunk the VLAN to it and then use either method mentioned above.

Now, this is mostly assuming your not routing. If routing, you wouldn't necessarily need to put the training room in the same VLANs as your servers, but that's a different direction to this conversation.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.