Aruba & ProVision-based
1753888 Members
7309 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: is Traffic limit control supported in Procurve 2510G-24 Switch?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ZeyadTech
Visitor

Is Traffic limit control supported in HPE Procurve 2510G-24 Switch?

Hello hpe community folks hope everyone is good, healthy and safe with all family.

I have a very quick question, for budget limit I came to the procurve 2510G switch, just need it for traffic limit as I read in a manual for other versions that i can control the traffic limit percentage through this command syntax:

[no] int <port-list> rate-limit all <in|out> percent <0-100>|kbps <0-100000000>> 

but it's not applicable to 2510G as noted beside this command at the manual page.. 

Anyone confirm if i can control the traffic on each port at this switch model before taking it ?

Thanks everyone.

5 REPLIES 5
ZeyadTech
Visitor

Come on guys i just need a Yes or No answer before buying this switch

Can i control the limit traffic on each port on this switch or No ?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, if you start with:

@ZeyadTech wrote: ...as I read in a manual for other versions that i can control the traffic limit percentage through this command syntax:

[no] int <port-list> rate-limit all <in|out> percent <0-100>|kbps <0-100000000>

but it's not applicable to 2510G as noted beside this command at the manual page.

Not other versions...but exactly other Switch Series. That means a whole different thing.

It looks like you already discovered that the HP ProCurve 2510 Switch Series doesn't support the interface rate-limit feature you need (because you were not be able to find related command on its historical documentation).

So your question eventually should became:

@ZeyadTech wrote: Anyone confirm if i can't control the traffic on each port at this switch model before taking it ?

Isn't it?

At best I saw a interface broadcast-limit:

"Specifies the percentage of the theoretical maximum network bandwidth that can be used for broadcast and multicast traffic. Any broadcast or multicast traffic exceeding that limit will be dropped. Zero (0) means the feature is disabled.

The broadcast-limit command operates at the port context level to set the broadcast limit on a per-port basis."

but you have to consider that the manual I used for the above reference was published during 2007...so, maybe, additional features could have been added before its EoL/EoS declaration.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
ZeyadTech
Visitor

Appreciate your clarifications Mr parnassus 

I came across the management and configuration guide of the 2510G series and traffic limit is available only for broadcast and multicast (protecting the inside network rather than controlling normal traffic to the clients)

so it's not supported in this series although it's available in EOL switches in other vendors like cisco but a lot more expensive. I will look for other alternatives then

thanks again. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

IIRC Aruba 2530 (HP ProCurve 2530, the suggested successor of old HP ProCurve 2510G) has some Rate Limiting features:

1. ICMP Rate Limiting
  2. QoS: Port and Priority-based Rate Limiting
  3. Rate Limiting

BUT it doesn't support some others:

1. Rate Limiting Unknown Unicast Traffic
  2. Classifier-Based QoS and Rate Limiting

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
ZeyadTech
Visitor

Exactly this switch type is what I'm looking for as I will use it for local media server inside LAN network with 40 PC client. No VoIP or any advanced qos classification is needed.

but unfortunately it's not available at the store so I have to wait at least 4 months to be shipped from Dubai to Yemen.

A long time !!

Really appreciate your suggestion Mr parnassus

Thank you