108786 Solutions
New Discussion

J9151A transceiver not supported by HPE Procurve 3500yl J8693A switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
devilfox
Occasional Contributor

J9151A transceiver not supported by HPE Procurve 3500yl J8693A switch

Hi, I am new to the SFP based connectivity here.  I just tried plugging in the bare J9151A transceiver into the SFP+ slot in the HP ProCurve 3500 yl J8693A switch. From the online documents, I found that J9151A should be compatible with the switch I have. But the switch log says "Transceiver not supported on the port" whenever I plug that specific transceiver in. Anything that I am doing wrong here? Please know that the transceiver is bare (no cables). Is that the wrong way to test? If yes, please suggest how to test.

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: J9151A transceiver not supported by HP Procurve 3500yl J8693A switch

Please @devilfox read the answer already given you on this other thread you started. You're confusing SFP ports with SFP+ ports...they both have the same form factor but the speed they provide is very different (note the "+" on SFP+).

It's totally normal that a 10G SFP+ Transceiver like the J9151A isn't supported (not even recognized -> thus not allowed) on SFP ports your switch has on its frontplane.

The J9151A SFP+ Transceiver is supported, yes it is...but not on those ports, it is supported only on the pair of ports provided by the optional module HP 10GbE 2-port SFP+ / 2-port CX4 yl Module - SKU: J9312A - module that need to be installed on the back slot of your switch.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner