1753523 Members
8451 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Losing communication on certain devices at random times Switch 2810-48G

Andre Chambers

Losing communication on certain devices at random times Switch 2810-48G

We have some older devices connected using AUI adapters at 10Mbps HDX

Here is the port count after 24hrs of traffic? I had the port set to auto and it registered a connection at 10HDX. I also tried to hard set the port to 10HDX but the errors still keep coming. I have about 5 or 6 devices with similar errors. Do I need to investigate further? COuld I be losing packets due to errors and collisions. The application is a real time application and I'm worried that these devices are not able to keep up.

Name : CIP_1
Link Status : Up
Totals (Since boot or last clear) :
Bytes Rx : 2,631,847,944 Bytes Tx : 2,627,707,674
Unicast Rx : 22,544,529 Unicast Tx : 21,209,751
Bcast/Mcast Rx : 0 Bcast/Mcast Tx : 238,294
Errors (Since boot or last clear) :
FCS Rx : 0 Drops Rx : 0
Alignment Rx : 0 Collisions Tx : 40,872
Runts Rx : 0 Late Colln Tx : 0
Giants Rx : 0 Excessive Colln : 0
Total Rx Errors : 1096 Deferred Tx : 313,217

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Losing communication on certain devices at random times Switch 2810-48G

Collisions will occur when the network is overloaded (also other problems will show up as collisions).
Deferred also shows a possible congestion issue.
I think you are on the right lines with a possible congestion issue.
Have you checked your switch firmware against the release notes to see there are no relevant bug fixes available to deal with slow speed connections?
Assuming firmware is all okay. Without changing the hardware (which I suspect may be the permanent solution) have a look at the flow-control command. It is detailed on page 10-5 of the manual. Again however I suspect it will not help much as I think flow-control only works with full-duplex connections.
Is there anyway for you to test an uprated Ethernet connection for the device?
Is this problem causing issues for the users?
It might be a case of note it for future reference and carry on...

Sorry cannot be to much help.
Andre Chambers

Unfortunately the device has a MAU transceiver that only supports 10Mbps HDX. I do not see errors on the trunk link and on any other segment of the network. The servers that the 10MB HDX device talks to are all 100MB FDX so I'm assuming that may be the issue. The same servers also talk to other devices that are 100MB fdx so it's not like I can change the server comm speed.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Collisions are perfectly normal on HDX network, as are deferrals. Also the summary aggregates something that isn't really an error (fragments received, I think) into total RX errors.

In summary: this port is working perfectly fine. CRC errors are 0 and packets lost through excessive collisions are also 0.