1751738 Members
6013 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NetApp 10Gb DAC cable with 2920?

nhwanderer
Frequent Visitor

NetApp 10Gb DAC cable with 2920?

Does anyone have experience with a NetApp 10Gb DAC cables connected to the 10Gb SFP+ port module on 2920 series switch working? I haven't gotten the NetApp (FAS2620) in yet, but am concerned about DAC compatiblity.  We're running WB.16.04.0008 and have the allow-unsupported-transceiver options enaled. 

I'm hopeful it will work, but would like confirmation. Otherwise I may have to go down the optical tranceiver route. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Linkk
Frequent Advisor

I myself try not to use unsupported DAC or SFPs in HP switches. With allow-unsupported-transceiver it should work, no guarantee though.

But beware that you will probably not get any official support as long as this option is enabled.

If it won't work, you will probably have to buy supported SFPs and optical cables.

nhwanderer
Frequent Visitor

For anyone who hits this in the future, the cables arrived, were Cisco branded DAC (sfp-h10gb-cu1m-r6) and didn't work in the SFP+ ports of the procurve 2920 at all, no matter if the unsupported switch was on or off. Optical transceivers here we come. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

So probably you should have used supported (on Aruba 2920) genuine HPE/Aruba DAC cables...at least just to try how (and if), NetApp side, those DAC cables behave.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Dan_LeBaron
Occasional Contributor

I have to say it would be nice fro HP to either offer DA cables in more lengths - 2,4,5,6 meters or allow the use of 3rd party cables.