5667 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: "JOB" command is not executed

EugeneB88
Occasional Visitor

"JOB" command is not executed

Hello, 

I am trying to execute a job command, which should copy the backup config file to the TFTP server, but the command does not do anything on the specific set time. When I run the command manually, the TFTP server gets the backup configs file, but the job scheduler does not work. Does anyone have this issue before? How did you manage to solve it? 

The switch details are: 

HP J9851A Switch 5412Rzl2
Software revision KB.16.02.0013

and the command which I am trying to run is:

job "backup_conf" at 03:00 on Sun-Sat config-save "copy run tftp <IP> filename.txt"

3 REPLIES 3
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello, 

According to the documentation the scheduler doesn't run until the systel time is set. Please check if the system time is set. When you enter the command show job you should see the status of the scheduler and a warning if the system time is not set. The command show job backup_conf can give you even more information, for example enabled/disable, how many times was run, skipped or there was an error etc.

The switch is running firmware KB.16.02.0013, in the release notes of KB.16.02.0028 I can see 2 bug-fixes for issues with the Job Scheduler

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00090254en_us

Fixed in KB.16.02.0025

Job Scheduler CR_0000244075
Symptom: The switch fails to execute scheduled jobs.
Scenario: When Daylight Savings rule (DST) is configured on the switch close to the DST begin time and the switch time shifts by one hour, the switch fails to execute already configured jobs.
Workaround: Remove previously configured jobs and re-configure them after the DST rule is configuredand the switch clock shifts by one hour.

Fixed in KB.16.02.0016
Job Scheduler CR_0000221236
Symptom: The switch does not execute scheduled jobs at expected scheduled time.
Scenario: When the switch time settings are adjusted for time protocol, time zone or daylight savings timerule (daylight-time-rule), the Job Scheduler fails to execute scheduled jobs at the configured time. This is triggered when switch time is (re-)adjusted, following a time settings change. For example, adding a daylight-time-rule would trigger a time re-adjustment, but the job scheduler time is not re-adjusted with the newswitch time settings and it will not trigger job execution at the expected time.
Workaround: Remove and re-configure the jobs after making configuration changes to the switch timesettings.

If you are matching this symptoms or scenarios of this bugs you can either try to workarond or perform a firmware update. It doesnt have to be to KB.16.02.0028, this should be also fixed in any of the current releases from 2020, like 16.10.0007, 16.09.0010 or 16.08.0012.
I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

EugeneB88
Occasional Visitor

Great, Thank you for the info.

We decided to upgrade firmware. So my question is, do we need to upgrade boot rom too? How exactly to do it? and how to choose a compatible version? Thank you

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello, 

The bootROM is not updated separately. If the new version of the firmware includes an update of the bootROM it will be done automatically when you update the firmware. The switch will perform an additional reboot in order to update the bootROM.

Here is download page for the 5412R switch

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9822A

Unfortunately the current releases are not ordered chronologically. The most recent releases are KB.16.10.0007, KB.16.09.0010 and KB.16.08.0012, ,they are from April 2020.

The release notes contain information about upgrade restrictions and guidelines.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo