4162 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing a Management Module on a 5412R zl2

DarrenD
Occasional Advisor

Replacing a Management Module on a 5412R zl2

Hi,

We've just had a management module fail in a 5412R zl2. The unit has two MMs, and it was the standby module that failed, so the switch continued operated as normal. We received the replacement and went to swap the modules.

We read the document at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04344569 entitled "Management Module Replacement Instructions", which specifcally references the 5400R zl2 series switches, and states the modules are hot-swappable.

When we did the "hot swap" the switch rebooted. This did not end well.

Raising a case with HPE Support has resulted in me being told that the management modules are *not* hot swappable and a switch reboot is expected.

I find this astonishing.

Can anyone confirm that a switch reboot is the expected behaviour? If this is normal a good chunk of the justification for purchasing a modular switch with redundant controllers has just disappeared.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

DarrenD wrote: Can anyone confirm that a switch reboot is the expected behaviour?

No, IMHO, it's not the expected behaviour in case of just hot-swapping the failed Standby MM with a new working one.

What was the redundancy status of your 5400R zl2 before you hotswapped the failed Standby MM with the new MM? did you grab any switch status - as example through the show redundancy command - about that status before doing any other possible maintenance action? just to be sure you had all the necessary informations about MMs/Redundancy/Software versions status...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
DarrenD
Occasional Advisor

I had the below afer the module failed, but before we did the hot swap. The "Nonstop switching is not support" message I'd not fully considered before - I assumed it was related to the failed module and it couldn't determine the SW version in use, but I guess the more likely cause is that the two modules were indeed running different firmware versions.

Given we were replacing MM2 - the failed unit - I'd still not have expected it to reboot though when replacing the module.

>show redundancy

Configured Mode: Nonstop Switching
Current Mode   : Warm Standby
*Nonstop switching is not supported with different SW versions in MM1 and MM2.

Rapid Switchover Stale Timer : 90
Failovers : 0
Last Failover :

Slot Module Description                       State    SW Version    Boot Image
---- ---------------------------------------- -------- ------------- ----------
MM1 HP J9827A Management Module 5400Rzl2      Active   KB.16.03.0003 Primary
MM2                                           Failed