SOLVED
Go to solution
Laamouri
Occasional Contributor

Stacking 4 switch Aruba 2930F without stacking cable

Hello,

I want stacking 4 switchs aruba 2930F.
Our supplier doesn't have the stack cables in stock
Can i use the module SFP+ 10G with multimode fibre cable to build my stack ?

Thank you for your help

Best Regards

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Stacking 4 switch Aruba 2930F without stacking cable

If with the word "stacking" you mean VSF (Virtual Switching Framework), the answer is Yes, you can...the Aruba 2930F hasn't (and didn't support any) specific hardware Stacking Module and special Stacking Cables (those are used and are available on Switches which support a backplane stacking approach like the Aruba 2920, Aruba 2930M and Aruba 3810M), since the Aruba 2930F uses the frontplane stacking approach (VSF, at least if it runs on ArubaOS-Switch 16.03 or newer software version) you can use SFP+ interfaces to build your stack (or even slower 1G link(s) although performances are clearly lower if compared to VSF built using 10Gbps link(s)...the important thing is not to use a mix of 1G and 10G links when you define VSF ports on VSF members).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Laamouri
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for this answer :)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Glad to have helped you!

Let we know if you will face problems setting up the VSF!

If you are going to refer to Aruba 2930F's documentation you should be good (VSF is well explained and, eventually, it was already discussed here on the HPE Community forum - ProCurve / ProVison-Based section - and also on the Aruba Airheads Community too: Aruba Airheads is - clearly - specifically Aruba oriented if compared to HPE Community but info are here and there with the same level of content).

Davide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Laamouri
Occasional Contributor

Thank you

I'll let you know as soon as I configure the VSF.

Best Regards

parnassus
Honored Contributor

A preliminary starting point about VSF is this guide (erroneously its title reported "Vertical" instead of "Virtual"...but it doesn't matter, it's good enough to start with because it explains what is VSF and how to implement it); it is a little bit Aruba 5400R zl2 biased - VSF initially was an Aruba 5400R zl2 only feature, only recently was introduced on Aruba 2930F - but the general VSF exposed concepts are really valid (specific restrictions/requirements differ between VSF implemented with Aruba 5400R zl2 switches and VSF implementes with Aruba 2930F switches so you will need to read carefully Aruba 2930F manuals and Release Notes to understand exactly how to deploy your VSF scenario with that switch series).

I'm not an HPE Employee