1753481 Members
3809 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Stacking Question

mloiterman
Occasional Contributor

Stacking Question

I have two HP-2920-48G-POE+ switches that I wish to configure into a chained stack.

The switches have been and continue to operate in stand alone mode since they have been turned on.  I undertsand how to enable stacking.

Both have been manually configured to have nearly identical settings (except name, IP address, and VLAN port assignements).  

So, my question is what will happen to my configuration settings for both the commander and standby switches once stacking is enablaed?

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Stacking Question

Hi! the point is that is useless to configure what will be the stack Standby member switch (apart from enabling on it the stacking feature by using the stacking enable CLI Command on the switch you're going to add as the stack Standby, provided that you started from the switch that will be the stack Commander).

The commander’s running configuration on the switch that will become the future Commander is going to be retained, the running configuration of the future Standby and of the future member(s) will not be retained after joining the stack...that's because the stack is a single virtual switch...one single logical entity managed by the Commander, see the HP 2920 Switch Series Stacking Technical White Paper linked below.

Since your switches are already booted and we can only presume stacking modules were inserted after they first boot (so later in time)...you're going to configure the Aruba 2920 stack by using the - so called - deterministic method: starts with the switch that will be the stack Commander member...and then add the switch that will be the stack Standby member (its configuration will be thrown away because it will be part of the stack managed by the Commander).

Please, first (a) update both of yours HP/Aruba 2920 switches to latest published WB.16.10.0007 software release and then (b) follow this HP 2920 Switch Series Stacking Technical White Paper to create your stack.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner