Aruba & ProVision-based
1752800 Members
5450 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STP bpdu-protection or loop-detect on J4865A (4108GL)

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

STP bpdu-protection or loop-detect on J4865A (4108GL)

Hi all,

According to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=84231&prodTypeId=12883&objectID=c02596539 loop protection is supported on the J4865A.

I've got a J4865A running firmware G.07.109 (which is the latest as far as i can tell), and neither 'loop-protect' nor 'spanning-tree [port] bpdu-protection' is available through the CLI.  This feature is available on all my other E-series switches.

Is this just an oversight?  Will there be a future firmware which provides this?  Or if not, are there any other STP hardening steps we can take as mitigations?  I really don't like having any access layer switches without some form of spanning tree protection turned on.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Regards,
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Mik-HPN
Valued Contributor

Neither of them are listed in the Feature Matrix:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02694321/c02694321.pdf

for the 4100-series. I did see that your link was from August 2009 and mine from October 2009, could be a typo in one of them. There is no mention of it in the release notes of G.07.109

HPN Transceiver guru!
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, i found the support matrix section, but i was keen to know why there was conflicting information, and whether there will be an update. It's a bit disappointing because the 4108 is my largest switch in terms of available ports, and it's also the most vulnerable to some idiot coming along and plugging in a looped cable. :-(
Regards,
Paul
Mik-HPN
Valued Contributor

I did another check on the document and they listed all J-numbers they could find, without checking if the products do support the feature. It also does not state that the feature is available on all, they only talk about the feature.

The document has been flagged for incorrect tagging to be amended or removed.

HPN Transceiver guru!
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Great - thanks for that Mik-HPN. Now what can i do about the issue of such limited per-port loop protection on the 4108gl? :-)
Regards,
Paul