1751972 Members
4880 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Transitioning VLAN and DHCP to Procurve 2920

wcormode

Transitioning VLAN and DHCP to Procurve 2920

Hello,

Let me begin by saying I am really a novice at this. I took over at a job where the network was already good to go I just needed to handle the day to day and future projects. I didnt realize the way the network was set up would prevent some projects.

I am trying to put in a new transparent bridge Layer 2 filter. It needs to sit in this order:
Internet<-->Firewall<-->Filter<-->Switch
The problem is that the firewall is handling VLAN and DHCP and the filter needs to be upstream of at least the VLAN trunk(otherwise it sees all traffic as Peer-2-Peer). So I need to move the VLAN trunk and maybe DHCP to the switch. It is an HP ProCurve 2920-48G. It says that it can operate Layer 3 and that beyond the 15.6 firmware update it an handle DHCP. The switch is still on the 15.11 release and when I try and upload the new version it says that there is a download already in progress.

I am new to this like I said so I see that VLAN is set up on the switch but I think as only a passtrough? How do I make it so that the trunk is on the switch? Also how do I get the software image to update?(I have tried the web interface and CLI)
1 REPLY 1
Kemosabe
Occasional Advisor

Re: Transitioning VLAN and DHCP to Procurve 2920

In regards to the firmware update , have you tried applying the update via the USB port on the switch?  You'll need to copy the latest firmware image to a flash drive and then run the following commands:

dir

copy usb flash [imagename_verison.swi] primary

boot system flash primary

If that doesn't work, you can also do it via TFTP via the console port as well.