Aruba & ProVision-based
1748156 Members
4255 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trunk Limits & 10GB

Zachary Younker

Trunk Limits & 10GB

My company is trying to consolidate 2 2810-48G switches with 8x1GB trunks. So that is 16x1GB trunks in total on the same subnet. We would like to replace these 2 switches with a 5406zl.

The problem is now with the trunk member limit, we can only do a max of 8x1GB trunks. We unfortunatly need more bandwidth then 8x1GB trunks will allow.

Besides creating 2 vlans with different subnets and turning on routing, is there any other ways to get 16x1GB trunks? or at least that amount of bandwith to a single subnet on a single switch?

If that is not in any way possible, has anyone tried trunking 2 or more 10GB CX4 connectors? Would these still have a maximum of 8 members in the trunk?

Thanks for any hints!

-Zach

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

If you get 2 of the 10G CX4 modules, you can trunk 2 from each sides and you will get 20G.

Price wise, in the 24 ports module, each port will cost you around 130$ and you need 8 of them so in total: 130*8=1040$ and you will get an 8Gig trunk, and for 2 trunks you will get 16Gig with a price of 2080$.

Where with the 10Gig, each CX4 will cost you 1130$, so a trunk of 2 CX4 links: 2*1130=2260$ and you will get 20Gig.

Its up to you now :)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Zachary Younker

Thanks for the help!

I ended up figuring out i can seperate it into 2 vlans internally.. I was forgetting vlans are layer 2 and i didn't have to worry about the subnets (layer 3) being on 2 seperate vlans. Then just attach 1 8x1GB trunk to each vlan as untagged.

Thanks,

-Zach